Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what ever happen to the courtsey lap ?

aokpops

This must be the new thing . blow all your grass in your nehgibers yard . had to tell him this is not right. I see a lot people blow grass all over the road . that sure looks nice . I don,t know what happen to the courtsey lap . sure would nice everyone would mow like they use to

I live in a neighborhood where people love to throw their garbage on the ground when walking or driving down the road (I've watched them). It eventually blows into my yard. Thus, I purposely point my lawn debris into the road; that way all the paper, plastic trash goes into the street and not on my lawn. Once and a while, I'll sweep it up, the rest of the time I just say a few other colorful words and grin. :(! BTW: Cigarette butts are litter too.

The grass on the road thing really sets me off...wonder how many bottles were in his ditch before he mowed! Same with people that let their dogs yap all night....no respect for their neighbors. Ike

I hate it when people mow along the road blowing the grass at you when you drive by...The grass in the road doen't bother me because some lawns I mow I don't have any choice what way to blow the grass out...but I do at least stop and wait for traffic to go by so I don't kick out a stone or something and hit them.. One of the places I mow has someone across the road that must like to hit golf balls at cars going by or something..because there is always golf balls in the yard..and of coarse it has to be right next to the highway..Lucky for me that no cars was coming because I hit one and that thing really flew..That taught me to stop mowing even when I am blowing the grassaway from the road when there is traffic going by..That ball came out the opposite side of the deck from the discharge and flew clear past the house across the highway..To bad it didn't go though his front window and land in his lap while he watched TV,LOL

I have no neighbours to blow grass on my yard, and grass on the road dosent bother me. Im right on the highway, so the garbage does bother me :(! I hate it when people throw garbage out the window its so inconciderate, and stupid. It really ticks me off:(! lol

I'm getting a kick out of these replies.... Courtsey lap, damn let's just charge a $500 fine to every litter bug. I'm tired of that. I've thought about making a website (or prefer finding such a website) which can show pictures of people littering; my thoughts are to put a digital video recorder on the street to get my source. There is so much garbage thrown on my street, I probably can get a lot of pictures in a short period of time (title it "the pigs of xyz"). I know that at 5pm, people get backed up in traffic and as they sit and wait many flick their cigarette butts into the street. Last I heard, those are not biodegradable; perhaps there needs to be a butt fee which adds 5cents to every butt and if you want your extra 5cents, return your butts (bet smokers love that idea!) As for blowing grass on anyone elses lawn, I actually cut my neighbors lawn because they don't cut their lawn more than every 3 to 4 weeks making the neighborhood look like crap. Even a quicky looks better than not cut. As for pointing the chute towards the cars, I avoid that, but going around daily and picking up the trash is not fun. So again, I point the TRACTOR chute right at the street ON PURPOSE(which helps put the cigarette butts, Wendys wrappers, candy wrappers, mcD's ketchup, soda cups, condoms, note papers, receipts, etc.); which with the traffic, that doesn't stay in the street too long. I've swept the street twice to get the winter sand up, the problem is where do I get rid of the dirt infested oil sand debris? So I stopped that. P.S. I highlighted TRACTOR, because we need to talk about tractors. :) EDITED FOR THIS: Note, I only cut my neighbors front lawn (which is small), there backlawn looks like crap. It takes about 3-4 mins with a 48" deck... the backyard takes a lot longer.

Maybe they should bring back the commercial with the Indian with a tear in his eye. I think it was pretty effective. Not near as much litter in the ditches around here as there was 30 years ago.

gotta do something. I may post pictures of the "pigs of xyz" in my town hall on a bulletin board. Word might get out that way[:0]
quote:
Originally posted by Brent_Baumer
Maybe they should bring back the commercial with the Indian with a tear in his eye. I think it was pretty effective. Not near as much litter in the ditches around here as there was 30 years ago.

:D:D Don't know about the road, I don't mow there. BUT 4 courtesy laps around Karen's flower gardens or I'm dead meat!!!:D:D

I make 3 around the garden and along the street, and 1 or 2 around everything else. :D Only place I cant, is along the fence, and I have to blow into my own driveway :(

In our fine city (lol), that stuff is frowned upon but many do it with the grass and leaves anyway. During the week Im armed with a Freightliner and if you get it a little too far to the right sometimes it cyclones right back into their yards[:0]. Shame on me ;)

I've sure got it good with both of my neighbors that my yard is next to. I never thought of the term "courtesy lap," but I've been doing it since I've lived here. I can't imagine blowing grass in their yards for them to clean up. Where i used to live, it was on a highway and had a convenience store across the side street. LOTS of trash blew over, but after I fenced the yard in, at least it caught it. I think Brent's right, bring back the Indian commercials!

I don't want to seem anti nationality so don't take it that way. I have met people from Singapore that place is appearnent very clean, much Marble and stainless and glass. There are laws against chewing gum and spiting it on sidewalk. Tiawan is much the oposite. a coworker told me they dont even throw their trash in the can in the fast food restaurants they leave in on the floor or on the table. Trash everywhere and the Tiawan river is raw sewage. Couple that with very little sunshine due to pollution, now they have problems. We home owners for the most part in the US expect everyone to respect cleanlyness. Truth is some folks are focused on the grass and the look of cut, not the look of clean. There are laws for littering and it would be good to have open court on tv to embarrass folks who litter. Because there are much bigger fish to fry, try not to let your neighbor upset you because of his mowing practices. Invite him over for a bar.b.q. and carefully bring the subject up when they ask what it is they can do for you while being carefull not to make matters worse by telling everyone in the group. You can catch more bees with honey than salt.

Dang Leroy, ;)I can't just shoot the suckers??????:D ;)You sure got a way of takin the fun out of things.:( Joe

As for blowing grass out onto the road, I really don't have much choice. When I see a nice car go by I usually turn off the blades if I can to keep from throwing anything at them. It would help to have a right handed discharge deck. Most people where I live could care less. And yes there is a lot of trash on my yard along the edge of the road. As for my neighbors grass, often we overlap over the property line as there is no definite line so it doesn't really matter where it goes.

quote:
Originally posted by JoeJ
Dang Leroy, ;)I can't just shoot the suckers??????:D ;)You sure got a way of takin the fun out of things.:( Joe
Joe there seems to be nuff stuff in life to be really concerned with than to add to it because of the insensitivities of folks who relly have not been taught any better. However it is a veritable slap in the face of those who attempt to manicure their property to have a neighbor who cares less. And it could be done that the neighborhood can meet and discuss this matter and hold this neighbor to higher standards if everyone else is. But i suspect those have to be kinna rare cases.

Also the Cyclone Rake is a fun item to yank behind a mower and do the clean up service. I don't own one but then they only put Techumseh's on it. You would be a Neighborhood Zorro for cleaning up the streets in your neighboorhood. It would reduce the lazy neighbor tensions, But you may need a elbo brace to reduce the self induced pat on the back.

I might have made to big of deal out this . I just got done mowing an trimming . the yard look nice then the mtd scalper came by blowing grass . I was yank off last night . some times people just don,t know any better . thanks for letting me blow off steam