Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hello

MPH

This is weid, my laptop is stuck on wensday, tried to post pics of my new wagon, couldn't see it posted, nor could I see this posted, fired up the old G3 and at least now I know the site is still here, even if the latest post that shows is May 16th..

I'm here, Marty. Sounds like your in the Berumda Triangle, not the Arctic Circle, huh? Good luck with the computer. Peter

Figured out how to reset the time on this laptop and now all seems well. Had a flash up saying computer time was set for some time before March 2001. Another site I visist for market reports showed a date of 12/28/69. Too werid, anyone with a clue how this thing went back in time long before it was even thought of? Only thing happened since last Sunday was the battery went dead on the laptop. Think I ll go file some points or something I understand

Marty the program for the calender/clock in your laptop, may have a base clock value as you found. The ie. default setting. Without some type of seed for the clock the GUI (graphical user interface)pronounced Gooie environment for the computer would not start, because part of that invironment is providing the proper date and time. Loosing the battery can cause this.

MPH, The battery on the motherboard of your computer died. If you computers time is off sometimes you won't be able to connect to a server. It's a little battery attached to the motherboard that keeps your computers time and remembers the settings. Check the manufacturers website on how to enter the BIOS, it maybe F2, DELETE, or escape. You then can set the system time and a few other things. Their website may event tell you how to replace the CMOS battery. The battery is about the diameter of a dime. What kind of laptop do you have? HTH

Thanks Matt, my laptop is a Mac, iBook G4. My main battery is on the list on the website that Maynard posted in the coffee shop, where this post should be moved too, 'cept I don't know how. I'll talk to my son tonight who send this thing too me and see what he has to say.

Marty...there is what is called a CMOS--Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor. It's a small battery about the size of a watch battery on your circuit board...not to be confused with DC power pack battery when the computer is on. The CMOS, like Back40 said, powers the clock, settings and the power needed to boot up before your BIOS takes over with its settings. When it tanks, the result is what Leroy described. It's simple to change yhe battery. The hard part is re-entering data for your BIOS since it's so rare that it has to be done.