Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kent - VW re-power?

Kent, I see a photo of Blackie Day's Subaru-powered Sovereign is in the gallery...... very impressive! I think I read you were partial to VW Bugs. Did you ever consider a VW re-power?. .

"Hey Dutch" that's a good one for sure. Kent I think he's on to something here. Aren't they "engines" that is of the "Boxster" type. "Hum" Dutch I bet ya got him just thinking a "weeee bit" on this one. So Kent what do ya think?? "Gee"" I wonder if "Kent" might just have one of them there engine's layen around somewhere?? Ha Ha, >>->happyjack<-<<

If the four cylinders are too big to squeeze in, I know a guy who has an ultra-light plane that uses half of the VW engine. I can't remember if it's the front or back two cylinders, but they cut the block in half and make a plate from sheet metal to hold the oil in. He's been flying this plane for at least ten years, so it must wok pretty well. The plane is a replica of a Piper Cub.

In the world of building your own airplane there are plans available to saw VW engines in half to make 2 cylinder aircraft engines. But, 1/2 of 57 hp is 28.5 hp so it doesn't make sense for a lawn tractor as factory v-twins with 25 hp are available off the shelf. As a former Mazda RX-4 owner I like the idea of stuffing a Wankel engine in. Roy

HMMMM.... Just happen to have a 57HP Super Beetle engine sitting here... As memory serves me, the VW engine is both wider (head to head) and longer (front pulley to flywheel) than the Subaru, so it would be a very tight fit if it would fit at all.... then, there's the problem of how to rig a fan shroud and oil cooler.... Ron, I've not heard of sawing a VW engine in half, though there is an aftermarket kit that converts 2 of the 4 cylinders into air compressor cylinders, so I'm sure that it would run on only two... I'm trying to figure out how it would workif you sawed off 1/2 the crankcase -- the front (pulley) end is where the distributor drive and cam gear are, and the back (flywheel) end is where all the main oil passages are for the oil cooler, where you control end-play on the crankshaft, etc....Then you'd have to dry sump it so it'd pump oil when banked or inverted.... I've seen VWs and Porsche engines (very similar) used in homebuilts, but always the full 4 cylinders.... Back to the tractor -- why not a Wankel rotary like was used in the Mazda RX-2s and RX-7s -- they're very compact. I've seen them in a VW bug and the only frame/sheetmetal change needed was a "dimple" behind the license plate to clear the water pump shaft... They're actually shorter than a bug engine and much narrower (more upright). Then, you're talking 150+ HP at 9500 RPM (stock red line) to 11000/13000 RPM (usual power range for a modified engine). Just think how fast you could get your mower blades going then -- until they disintigrated like a hand grenade under the deck....