Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plowday at Brent Baumer's

MDB

With the farm work just about caught up Jake and I decided to take a road trip to the Portland swap meet and to Brents plowday. By the time we got to the swapmeet this morning everyone had left....:( So on down the road to Brents place and a great time talking tractors and such, meeting some club members in person and just enjoying the day. Here are some pics. CarlH, ready to plow,

Brent, our host plowing,

Peppy Dan,

Mack

That is all of the pics that I have, anyone else that has pics from today please post them. I want to thank Brent and his family for hosting this event for us and making us all feel welcome, a fun day:D

I couldn't get time to go to portland or brents. that to bad looks like they had some fun there.

Here are some of the pictures I took at Brents.

I took my 725 (the only FDT there). I didn't plow any but figured I could pull out any RBT's that got stuck:D:D

It was nice to put a face to the names. I had a great time and want to thank Brent and his family for hosting the event. Randy

Thanks,Brent for having us over.That was some very tough plowing!I was have electrical problems and didn't want kill my machine using the electric lift so I pulled out early.Still,it was great fun meeting the guys I hadn't met yet and seeing the ones I have met before again!

Many thanks, Brent. It's always great to have an opportunity to play with our toys and BS with other members. Also please express our thanks to your wife for her tolerance and hospitality. Both were much appreciated.

I also had a great time and want to thank the Baumer family for allowing us to tear the crap out of the lot. I really enjoyed meeting some new faces and some old ones. To the new faces I met, please don't be offended if I seee you again and don't remember your name, I'd forget my own if it wasn't writen on my coat! But on the bright side of that , I will probably be able to remember what tractor you were plowing with. It was also fun to play with my Jcpenny and I was able to get it running a little better by just using it. Thanks again Brent!

You are all quite welcome! I was very glad to host and meet a few more of you all. What a great bunch of guys. Still pondering and wondering if plow set-up would have made a difference on the sod. Maybe lowering the coulter? I am gonna do some experimenting when I have time. Thanks to all for showing up and sharing your time and equipment with me and my family. Brent

Brent,I was going on these instructions from the IH Cub Cadet FAQ. Note the highlighted paragraph on plowing sod. http://www.ihcubcadet.com/IHCCFAQ/PlowSetup.htm
quote:
Here are some plow setup hints posted back on or about April 9th, 2001 by Steve Blunier: A couple key adjustments: CLEAN THE MOLDBOARD!!! If it's rusty or rough it will not plow well. Sand the rust off and polish the share/moldboard to as bright of a surface as possible. Some slip-plate will help you get past the initial "teething" while your trying to polish up the plow. Set the coulter fairly deep so it almost runs on the bearing/yoke. This will help clean up the furrow wall and make the plow pull easier. Limit the left swing of the plow - not too much, but limit it enough that the tractor helps hold the landside in the furrow. Makes for cleaner furrow walls. Level the plow so that the landside tail is about 1/2" off the bottom of the furrow. Limit the coulter swing to the right to keep it out of the beam and help the plow track straight. Check that your sleeve hitch lift links are allowing the plow to go all the way down. Generally speaking, the plow should only be about 3" off the ground when raised all the way up. Start in the middle hole of the lower 3 pt. hitch mount. Move to the top hole if you need to lower the plow. If your plowing sod with one of the Brinly plows all bets are off. You may need to raise or remove the coulter and "lock" the sleeve hitch swing adjustments just to keep the plow in the ground. More point is usually required too. Most 10" Brinlys can be adjusted to plow 6" deep with a decent furrow wall in "broken" ground...slightly shallower in sod.
Maybe we should have used two instead of three boards to setup?

Yep, BR, I am surprised THOSE remarks have survived as long as they have. Maybe a few folks recently found a sense of humor. Brent