Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hairy string trimmer.

Al

Hi, Had a new experience today. Was about ready to close, doors locked and computer shut down. Teen age gal came pounding on the window and said my neighbor lady was in trouble. Was weed eating and got her hair in the weedeater. I assumed it was around the head and called my wife and asked her to grab some scissors and accompany me up to the neighbors. Got there and here she was with the engine up against her head and couldn't move it. She had long hair and was clearing a steep bank. The flywheel sucks air in a port on the back side of the front housing. She was running it wide open and it sucked her hair in the air intake and it wound around the flywheel and yanked the engine up against her scalp. We had to remove the carb, (had a hard time getting at the screws because of her head against them) fuel tank, rear shroud and then the engine to get it out. We could then unwind most of it. She has a knot on her head and some burned hair from hot engine parts, otherwise OK. After I had pulled the loose hair from around the crankshaft behind the flywheel, I put it together again. After I started it I suggested I go get a video camera and she repeat the operation and we could send it to Americas Funniest Home Videos. Guess I am just not a convincing person. Anyway goes to show when you think you have seen it all, you are just starting to. Al Eden

Al you said a mouthful in your last sentence! Having been in service related industries over the years and now in OPE service I'm constantly amazed at what I see and hear every day.

No video needed I seen everything in the the story you wrote. I'm glad she is ok.:I Thanks for sharing. Bill