Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO Clutch

IronPony

On my AC712 I discovered that the locknut on the PTO clutch was missing and the clutch was not engaging. What should I do? Just replace the nut and torque it to specs or do I need to worry about replacing the clutch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Dan

If it were me I'd torque the nut an see if it was working. If not than figure out what needs to be done to get it to work.

If it were me, now knowing how hard it is to get that nut off when you need to take it off. I would go ahead and remove the clutch drum, then remove the ring clip and the pulleys and spring should come right off. Now check the bearing that slides in from the back. Mine had worn the race that goes around the shaft. The part that took me the longest was getting that darn nut off. Not much to get a hold of to stop the shaft from turning.

Lots of tractors I've seen,including my 3410,had the shaft for the nut broken off,and the main shaft was drilled and tapped for a bolt to hold the clutch on.

Just put it back together and see what happens seems right. But before you do so, check the thickness of the clutch lining to see that it has enough life left. Also, a little bit of Lubriplate on the nut and shaft will make the next dissasembly easier.

An impact gun and socket work wonders removing those large nuts. I believe they are 1 1/16" or 1 1/8". If you get a standard (non-impact) socket, get a six-point socket instead of a twelve-point one....