Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sure glad Murphy was here

Nick

I know it's hard to believe, but I sure am glad Murphy stopped by. I had oil start leaking from the engine pan gasket back in January and because of my leg I couldn't do really any maintenance on the tractor. Also the throttle & choke cable broke so I needed to fix that. Since my leg feels about 85% better I decided today was the day to change it. Pulled the engine and found this:

OOPS![:0] Looks like the drive shaft flange bolts loosened up and egged out the flange. No wonder why I had some many vibrations that I didn't recognize. Good thing the BGB shaft didn't bust. Also on another bad note, my gear puller slipped and flattened out the threads on the center arbor assembly on the mower deck. Well something else to fix if it's fixable. Maybe I'll just replace it.

Yikes I bet that did vibrate! Let me know if you need another coupling, I think I have an extra.

Nick, A 3/4-16 die or thread chaser should straighten out your arborshaft. You can get one pretty cheap at a ACE hardware.

Nick, Flag down a Snap On guy. I bought, I think, 4 sets of Blue Point thread chasers years ago. 4 sets to get all sizes from 1/4" to 1" in both coarse and fine thread. They are worth there weight in gold!! Just remember that they are thread chasers and not dies and they will last you forever. And being Blue Point they were fairly cheap. Joe

I don't think that the bolts came loose I think that the coupler is bad.That happens all the time that is why they changed to the fiberglass coupler. Good luck .Bob

quote:
Originally posted by clyde
Yikes I bet that did vibrate! Let me know if you need another coupling, I think I have an extra.
Clyde, I sent you a PM.
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Nick, A 3/4-16 die or thread chaser should straighten out your arborshaft. You can get one pretty cheap at a ACE hardware.
quote:
Originally posted by JoeJ
Nick, Flag down a Snap On guy. I bought, I think, 4 sets of Blue Point thread chasers years ago. 4 sets to get all sizes from 1/4" to 1" in both coarse and fine thread. They are worth there weight in gold!! Just remember that they are thread chasers and not dies and they will last you forever. And being Blue Point they were fairly cheap. Joe
Thanks, Joe and Ray I'll look into the Thread Chaser.
quote:
Originally posted by ka9bxg
I don't think that the bolts came loose I think that the coupler is bad.That happens all the time that is why they changed to the fiberglass coupler. Good luck .Bob
Bob, Your right. I remembered my B-110 had a fiberglass one. Possibly a replacement?

Nick, I think those were the original style coupling. On my B-10 project the couplers looked even worse that yours. I changed them over to the fiberglass style. I had an extra shaft that had the disks and spacers with it.