Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

seperating the men from the boys

dhardin

Been kind of busy and have not posted for a while.The contract I have for the City has me hopin. Here is a yard i mowed last week, It amazes everyone that sees me pull up to mow this abanded property and what this little tractor can do. [img]attach/dhardin/IMAGE0111s.JPG[/img] [img]attach/dhardin/IMAGE0116s.JPG[/img] Had to pull the deck to get in the back yard [img]attach/dhardin/IMAGE0113s.JPG[/img] I Have mowed over 25 yards like this or worse. The gader blades really seem to help a lot.

Do you then rake up the grass and dispose of it? Ever hit anything laying in the undergrowth?

Maybe you should develop a mini-baler to work with it to take advantage of all that straw you've got.:D

Consumer reports may be for new equipment but this may be proof as to what is built today can not hold a candle to what was, and still is the best machine for the job.

Thanks guy I thouhgt you would like to see what has been keeping me busy. Each yard is different, most yards do get raked/picked up and some even remowed with my vac setup. I pick up sticks limbs (hale away) and pile up junk, trim over grown trees around the buildings. It all depends on the over all condition of the property and the neighborhood. I have been real lucky so far, I smoked one pto to deck belt (it was slipping some in its old age, a lot like me) and hit seveal bricks, but the last one was perrty bad. I had to weld a small tear in the deck just in frount of the center spindel. Really nothing to bad realy. The adverage yard takes about 3 hours, and the pay is REAL good. Eveyone assumes I have a 17 or 20hp mower to cut 24" grass, but the 10hp in first gear just walks right through it. Bigcounty, yes i am thiking of a way to bail it, I wind row it now and then it dont take as long to rake and pick up. It is to heavy for my vac unit to work if i dont pick up the big bulk first.

If the pay is that good the Cyclone Rake will make it look like a golf course:) maybe not that good but the clean up will not be two tasks. if ya can get-er in there you can get-er done. So says the trifold info packet.

Looks real good. I'm surprised you like the gators. I just put a set on my landlord and they don't help at all.

Gator blades are great if used for what they were design for, mulching. They seem to have a little smaller clippings even when side discharing and seem to run quiter than OEM blades. The big difference will be the amount of times that you have to sharpen them compared to a OEM blade.

Leroy, I have a vac unit i built that is a lot like a cyclone rake and it dose a great job. But this green tall grass is just to much, its in such a ball or clump or grass. I have a Chraftman chipper shreder that i may convert to a minine bailer, or pickerup bagger unit. Or I have a nice snow blower i might covert to a tine wheel picheruper and throw it in a bag. Neccessity is the mother of all my inventions. Right now im converting a {garadge sale find} 46" beck into another pull behind for my dad. It was build to be mounted in frount of a ATV.

Nice pics Dan cant beleave the way they let the yards get why dont they call a little sooner like when you can still see the house LOL

quote:
Originally posted by dhardin
Leroy, I have a vac unit i built that is a lot like a cyclone rake and it dose a great job. But this green tall grass is just to much, its in such a ball or clump or grass. I have a Chraftman chipper shreder that i may convert to a minine bailer, or pickerup bagger unit. Or I have a nice snow blower i might covert to a tine wheel picheruper and throw it in a bag. Neccessity is the mother of all my inventions. Right now im converting a {garadge sale find} 46" beck into another pull behind for my dad. It was build to be mounted in frount of a ATF.
A neighbor of mine has his yard debrie cart loaded in a small pull behind cart and he has a cyclone fitted to the top of his yard debrie cart. dunno how well it works but it looks home made. I havent seen it work, only seen it mounted up. Hoisting the unit up there may tire the ole guy out so he has to take a break for a few days before he can mow with it. If the blown air has no where to go except they way it went in it will only be nominally efective.

hah, i mowed a couple of ladies yards this week that got about that high. The gator blades on my 48 exmark walk behind really made a difference. does cyclone rake fit left dishcarge decks now? i was thinking about getting one but they don't fit the left side discharge decks.

I had sent away for info on the cyclone some time ago. They wouldn't even sent it because of left discharge. I'm glad because I got what I feel to be a superior machine: the DR power vac. They only make that one for right discharge as well but close inspection of the photos show that you can just spin the motor 180 degrees for a perfect fit. I don't know why they don't sell it that way. What's funny when I ordered it, I said I had a 12hp A/C left discharge and they would not sell it to me even after I said I'll waive the right to return. Then I called back and said I oh, I have another 12hp right discharge and they would still not sell it to me. They said "you need 14hp for it to work - we tried 'em all out". They obviously don't know how tough our tractors are. So I had to call back and lie again and tell them my father-in-law had a 16hp Ariens. I can not say enough great things about this vac. I have a mound of mulched leaves like you wouldn't believe. The only thing I'd do different if purchasing now would be to get the basic one w/o the chipper. The chipper is of limited benefit to me and should have have the 200 dollar price diference.