Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Poor man's Farmall Cub

BLT

I got this over the weekend. The price was so low it is an embarassment to me. Anyway it is a 1965 Economy "Jim Dandy". The company evolved from the Economy to Power King, moved to two locations after start up and then went either bankrupt or just plain closed the doors. They made about 66500 of this basic style over forty four years. Mine is a 1965, powered by a 23D Briggs, Warner cast iron transmission, automotive differential and 14:1 reduction gearing at the drive wheels. Mine has a snow cab, mower and snow plow. Now the price was basically, " I have no more room in my garage and it is yours". Can't beat that.

Now thats what I call a deal. Looks to be pretty good shape. I know of one in Fairbanks with a loader I been tring to get for 2 years.

Nice tractor. I bought a Landlord without an engine from a guy who bought the Landlord for it's 9hp 23D. He also had an economy with a loader.

Great score! I've seen a few around here go for 2 grand with a belly mower and attatchments. That one looks to be in good shape.

A guy I know said he has a Jim Dandy, I mite have to go take a look at it. If it's like that one, I just mite have to take it home! Elon

These are tough little tractors. You can still get parts for them as several diff. companies have bought them out over the years. They were once sistered w/ the teramite backhoes also. My uncle had a Jim Dandy model, but I've still got my grandad's full size under the shed. It's a real mowing machine. With a full floating deck no less. It just can't compare with my 620 now for speed. I wouldn't compare it to a Farmall though, it's got more power and it's better built than a Farmall. It's also Orange...How could you go wrong.

Nice Find. I always wondered what type of tractor was that. I always thought they looked homemade.

Great find there Bob, Looks to be in excellent condition for it's age. Thoses power kings are built like tanks.....8D

Some people have all the luck. I've always wanted one but have never stumbled across one. Congrats!

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
That is one cool rig. Nice score. What is that box on top of the hood?
That's an add on non original tool box or maybe is an original option. Back then it was only a $5.00 option. I downloaded a price list from 1966. Tractor was only $625.00, less lights, tool box and draw bar.

Looks great! I knew a guy who had one. He really liked it and it looked pretty cool.

A freind of mine has his dad's economy with chain steering.There is no serial # on it belived to be one of the first 5 made quite interesting machine.

quote:
Originally posted by ka9bxg
A freind of mine has his dad's economy with chain steering.There is no serial # on it belived to be one of the first 5 made quite interesting machine.
Must have looked like this: [img]/club2/attach/BLT/1946.gif[/img]

The Jim Dandy's are pretty common around here. They usually sell for $1000 +/- a few $$$ and from what I've seen pretty easy to work on.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by comet66
What a great deal! I'd like to see a picture of one witha loader.
Fuzzy at best but here you go. I also had a 60" mower deck delivered. That weighs a ton. Discharges on both sides. I will get pics soon. The loader:

• 3 weeks later...
This is the cousin to your Jim Dandy, a Powerking 1612-12hp Kohler. Also on the trailer in front of the PK, a 725 Wards.

• 9 months later...
Nice machine! I had a 1964 12 horse Jim Dandy about 20 years ago. Wish I'd never sold it but I had a bull gear go out in one of the final drives and parts were a problem in this area at the time. Don't know what happened to the company, but they also built tractors for Snapper for a time near the end of their run. About ten years ago, the local Snapper dealer carried Power King along with the Snapper dressed models. Can't see clearly in the photos, but what is that box on the rear of the hood? Appears to be too small for a tool box. Pat