Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mott mower 2nd try

ehertzfeld

Well with the three day weekend, I got a chance to play with the flail mower. I think this is going to work just fine. It's not original but it works well, Pluss when I make a rod, I can turn it on/off from the seat. I still have to make a lift arm, and do some tweeking, but I'm happy with it.

With the Mott on the front and the deck under it, sure looks like a mowing machine!:D:D:D I havn't tryed it yet but do you think the little 7hp engine would handle both?:o):o):o) Elon

Looks good Elon. I'd love to see how well it mows compared to other rough cut mowers.

looks like it will work well Elon, but I think the Model 19 will have it's hands full with both decks mowers....[:0]

HI, You will love that mower. It is so neat they NEVER bunch grass. The only draw back is sharpepning them. Have fun with it. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by MDB
looks like it will work well Elon, but I think the Model 19 will have it's hands full with both decks mowers....[:0]
Hey Mike, just for kicks, wile I was using the flail, I reached down and fired up the deck, plenty of power in these old Briggs. lol It does work well, however it is a slow way to mow grass. You have to be in first gear, other wise it misses quite a bit. But when I drove it into the the thicker stuff, WOW it works reall well. I'll try to get some pictures tonight. Anyone know witch way these are suppose to run? The blades are sharpened on both sides, I'm thinking that is so they didn't have to make a left and right blade. Right now I have the blades comming down to cut, then throwing it back tward the tractor. It made more sence then having it thowing it forward only to mow it again. Well now that I said that, the grass certainly would be mulched up real nice the way.:o) Elon

The larger ones on the right of way mowers for the state run like you have it now. If it's missing when you speed up your ground speed by just a little, you might try speeding up the mower by useing a larger drive pulley. I'm not sure what roteing tip speeds this thing will take and you need to know this as if you were to hit something at a higher rpm the knives wouldn't give as easy. However, if you could find out what rpm it's supposed to run, this could certainly be a factor.

Dave, thanks for the tips. I belive the drive pulley is the correct one, the drive pulley on the mower it self is the same kind. It also could be the small belt that runs the knives, it's a friction type "kinda like the veriable speed belt" and looks kinda thin. I'm going to look into replacing it. Just havn't figured out were to try. I dought Napa would have any. Elon