Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Newbie with mower question

EZ

Hi all, I have a 1963 Simplicity Landlord Mfg# 99314. Love this little machine, I have a snow plow on the front that was used for 5 years until I got ahold of a '49 Farmall Cub to do the snow chores (300 of driveway) Anyhoooo.....when purchased, it came with a belly mower that the PO had converted to be out front, needless to say it did not work well up there. I have been having a dang of time trying to find info on this mower. Tried the PDF site but the mowers on there don't match. I cannot find any numbers on it. It had 3 blades, 2 good size wheels, and the simplicity logo on it. What I need is a parts drawing of the mower so that I can mount it back under belly. I do have the adapter for the pulleys to run off the front shaft. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Simplicity314
Hello and welcome. First off, your deck model #s are: 990285 for the 42" and 990207 for the 32". You can enter the model number in the space on this page :http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php and you can download the manuals.

Does that mower deck look anything like this? [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1957/rotary_mower.jpg[/img] If so, it is likely the mower for a Model V or W 2-wheel walking tractor... and here's the manual for it: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3554_00_XX_S.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Does that mower deck look anything like this? [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1957/rotary_mower.jpg[/img] If so, it is likely the mower for a Model V or W 2-wheel walking tractor...
Kent, no, that looks like a 1 blade rotary, what I have is a 3 blade shaped like a triangle. It does have those type wheels though, thanks for the look.

314, Thanks for those numbers, I'll check it out and see what comes up. This is a great little tractor. The mower blades are free moving so I want to set it under asap. I got alot of grass:(

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
Hello and welcome. First off, your deck model #s are: 990285 for the 42" and 990207 for the 32". You can enter the model number in the space on this page :http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php and you can download the manuals.
314, I had look but those decks do not match. Mainly both of those mowers have rollers instead of wheels. Any more numbers?

Simplicity314
Sorry, I don't have any more numbers. Those two decks are the only stock moer options for the '64. Must be for a different make or model. Can you post pictures of it? I'm sure someone here will ID it for you. --Jim

quote:
Originally posted by EZ 314, I had look but those decks do not match. Mainly both of those mowers have rollers instead of wheels. Any more numbers?
The only decks that didn't have rollers in that timeframe were for the 2-wheel walking tractors, as far as I know... I don't think the big wheels are original on a 3-blade deck...

Anymore numbers for 2w/w. Could be that is what I have. Maybe that is why the PO tried mounting it out front. It almost worked up ther except the belt kept popping off when a bumpy section was encountered. Also there was no "floating" of the deck, so it would shave right into the dirt in some spots.

32" deck. I pulled it into the shop this afternoon to clean it up. The belt uder the cover looks to be pretty healthy. The blades are sharp as a baseball bat. I just sent an email over to Karl Brandt as I just found out he has a model V walker, and a bunch of other neat looking stuff. I will try to get someone to get a pic of it for me as I'm still in the analog world.

Well, here's a list of the model (MFR) numbers for 32" decks. Try these on the Simplicity Technical Publications site... http://www.simpletractors.com/what_fits/rotary_lawn_mowers.htm

Kent, Thanks again for the reply. I was going over that exact link last nite. There were 5 Mfg numbers, 990883, 333, 417, 289, and 207. Most of them are the exact same deck that I have except none of them are shown with wheels. My wheels are on the front, they are adjustable, does not look like they were modified either as the hieght adjustment brackets look to be stock, although not seen in any of those other decks. This one is a bit of a mystery I guess. The challenge will be fabricating waht is required to run it under my 314 tractor.

Unless that deck was for the largest 2-wheel tractor, the Model W, I doubt that it is original with the 2 large wheels. I've never seen one with wheels, only the smaller aluminum front decks for walkers that had wheels instead of rollers.... As far as previous modifications -- Simplicity is known for their "re-engineering" of bolt on adapters and such, reusing components originally designed for one machine on another. There may be no signs of welding or such -- it could have simply been swapping out bolt-on parts... For example, the 3-belt snowblowers used on the first 4-wheel tractors were originally designed for the Models V and W, and adapted to fit the Model 700 and 725 tractors.

Karl_Brandt
The MFG.no.990265 might be what you are looking for.;) This mower deck fits a Simplicity model W walking tractor. Karl [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url]

32" Rotary mower use with model W MFG.no.990265 Leaf mulcher is available as a optional equipment MFG.no.990173 [img]http://www.geocities.com/simplicityva/19676.jpg[/img]

Yes!! That's it fellows, went on the Simplicity page and checked it over. That is definately it. I guess if one were to look at the similar models that are for belly mount, one may be able to fabricate something up. i.e. remove the wheels, add some type of rollers, etc,etc,...Thanks for the interest, and Karl, thanks for the email. I just got back from a weekend trip away.

I just can't believe how things work out sometimes! This morning I spotted a little tractor in this guys truck, upon investigation, it's a Simplicity 728 Broadmoor with a nice little mower deck on it. Well the deck is little rusted out but looks the same as mine and the mounting equipment might just fit. Anyway, I asked him if he wanted to sell it. He said if I can find him a mower to buy with or without an engine, he'll part with it for sure but it's all he's got right now. Do you guys think that the mower deck will fit under the Landlord? My tractor runs great, but has had no real chores since I got the Cub so this would be great to have it working again. "A working tractor is a happy tractor."

If you're buying a mower deck for it, I'd recommend you look for a 42" mower deck. Those are designed to fit, and you'd have a much easier time finding belts and other parts for it. While a Broadmoor deck would go underneath it, it would require a different hitch setup...

Thanks Kent, At least I now know that I have the wrong deck. Maybe Karl Brandt, a fellow Canadian, may be able to get me onto some contacts to get the proper mower for this one, perhaps even a trade. This is a great web site.