Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Back again

mbrook

Last year I bought this B210 for $150. It came with a 42" deck and a 36" snow blower. I mainly picked it up for the hydro lift. At the time the rear end was locked and the engine didn't run.

I pulled the lift off it, rebuilt the carb to get it running, tore the rear end apart to fix it. Reasembled and sold it with 42" deck, 36" snow blower, tiller and tire chains for $600.

The owner was having trouble with it this spring and asked for some help. I took a look at it and determined it needed a new spark plug. After replacing the plug he still couldn't get it running. He asked if I would be interested in repairing it (admitting that he wasn't mechanically inclined)and selling it for him with some "commision". So I picked it up yesterday and checked the plug, brand new, but the gap was completely closed. I set the gap and it runs fine.

That reminds me of one of the reasons why I always liked Bosch sparkplugs (especially their Platinum plugs). They came pre-gapped, with a little paper tube on the threads that stuck out and protected the end -- so that the gap couldn't get closed by banging around inside the package. I'll bet he just took the sparkplug out of the package and put it in, never checking the gap...

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
That reminds me of one of the reasons why I always liked Bosch sparkplugs (especially their Platinum plugs). They came pre-gapped, with a little paper tube on the threads that stuck out and protected the end -- so that the gap couldn't get closed by banging around inside the package. I'll bet he just took the sparkplug out of the package and put it in, never checking the gap...
In the end it looks like you got a free hydrolift. I wonder how many people just put the plug in and never check the gap. I was given a free mower from my Aunt because of the same problem. Regapped it started it up and asked if she wanted it back. She didn't so I turned around and resold it.