Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Transplant Questions

beuce

Has anyone tried or heard of someone putting a Kawasaki horizontal twin into a large frame Simplicity tractor? I am just wondering what type of modifications to the tractor/engine I may have to do if I considered dropping one in.

Try this http://smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=FH641D-Simp7100 and this http://smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=Simplicity&Model=7117 .

I recently asked a similar question regarding these engines. The responces I got back almost all advised against this swap, due to the valves being a common weak point to the Kawasaki engines. If you do this transplant, I personally would stay with the air cooled version, I had a very bad experience with the liquid cooled version including both head gaskets, water pump and hoses, carb., and the driveshaft oil seal all needing to be replaced on a 3 year old 20hp liquid cooled Kawasaki.

Thanks for the replies! Ray, the repower option is too costly at this point, though I took a serious look before I posted. A friend of mine said he could get the Kawasaki engine that Small Engine Warehouse has for cheap, but without the Simplicity adaptors. I think I will go with a short block Briggs 16hp instead that way I don't have to modify anything, not to mention cheaper...

I put a new 16 hp Briggs in mine a few years ago. I bought mine from Small Engine Warehouse as well. If you have a second mower I would consider rebuilding the 16hp that you have and keep everyone of them that you can get your hands on. You can rebuild two of them for $900.00 pretty easy. They are wanting the same money for that short block as I paid for the entire engine a few years ago.

My old engine is punched out to 20 over right now. From what I am told a 30 over piston is hard to come by, and that all depends on how the bore looks after boring. I considered rebuilding, but if I need to resleave the block I will probably be close to $800 anyway. I do not have the garage to do any of work my self, so that included labor. But I will keep the engine as well as the 12hp (300421)that I have that threw a rod. Maybe one of these days I will have a garage with a cement floor, that I can keep fairly clean...