Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Will Tires Fit??

Blackgolf

I have a 95 Sunstar with 24x13.00 12 turf tires on it and i found a set of Ag luged tires but they are 26x12 12's. Has any one tryed this? I have 1.75" of clearance around the tire now, but i measured the tire and its is like 23.25" insted of 24" tall.

My Sunstar had 26-12-12 tires on it. It was a factory option. If your deck is the 60", you will have to use the lower cutting heights or not raise your deck all the way up when not mowing due to the deck rollers hitting the rear wheels when in the up position. The bigger tires and wheels definitly look better on the Sunstar.

Hi, I got sn7 of the first Sun Stars and bought it sight unseen before the dealer meetings when the tractor was announced. My rep called me and said there was a new 20 hp tractor and after his last dealer mtg he could sell it. I took it and the 18 also. When I got home with it I was unimpressed by the 23x10.50x12s on it. I was also unimpressed with the fact that with the 60" deck when you turned into a bank the corner of the deck would dig in. I widened the back rims and put on a set of 26x1200x12 Goodyear Terra Tires, the same as I used to put on the 7100s. I used 8 ply tires on the Sun Star because they lay flat like a Cat track. Next I got 2 of the little round ball anti-scalp ball rollers for a JD 111 and made soom sanitary little brackets and put them on the outer front edge of the deck. Next I called the US marketing mgr at the factory and complained that they built this nice tractor and put sissy tires on it. He told me they had bought some wide JD rims for a 400 and the tire hit the rollers, so they weren't going to be available. I replied that I was running some right now. He asked how and I explained that the 8 ply tires don't belly out. I was between reps at this time and Bob Liebert the Minnesota rep came down and took pics and drove the tractor. About 3 weeks later the anti-scalp rollers and the wide tires became available. They were able to use the 4 ply tires and get by. These tires WILL NOT work with the 48 inch mower. The rollers won't clear. Al Eden

I have 26x12x12 turf tires on my AC713S. They are great for mowing. They work with the 48 inch mower as long as you don't lift the deck too far. Otherwise the mower will dig into the tires. I just put in a stop pin so that it will only lift the right distance, and not ruin my tires. I assume the Sunstar is similar. I put my tires on 12 inch wide wheels to keep the tread flat. Tread is rounded on 8 1/2 inch wheels.

Rod, I agree with you, I have ran the 26-1200-12s bar treads on a number of Landlord, 3200s 7100s with no problem, I usually widen the rims to 10 or 10.5 inches. It is only on the 48 Sunstars there is a conflict. Al Eden

I run a set of 24"x12"x12" 4 ply turf tires on 10" wide rims on my Agco Allis 918H with a 48" deck. The rims I am using are a "deep dish" style with a shallow offset, the tires track about 2" in from the edges of the deck. The wide tires have made a great improvment to traction on hills, also have matching 16"x7.5"x8" turfs on front. Recently got a set of 24"x12"x12" ags I will put on my 7117. I am able to run the 24" tires easily without any clearance problems, and the tractor still sits level.

a-cman, Now that is a size that I was not aware of, 24x12x12. I currently have two sets of 26x12x12 tires, one AG and one Turf. Just wasn't aware they were also made in a 24 inch diameter. That would solve my mower clearance problem.

Al is correct, the 26X12X12 tires on the Sunstar are only compatable with the 60" deck. There is a clearance problem with the smaller decks.

Hubbard, The 24x12x12 tires are used quite often on commercial zero-turn mowers. Mine are 4 ply Carlisle turf masters.

I've had a set of 24x12x12 tires on my old 3416 and just put them on my new (to me) Allis 917. They fit great. The only issue is the rear pulleys (for like a tiller) are a little difficult to remove with the wider tires. There are no clearance issues with the mower deck. Oh yeah, the 12" wide tires makes the tractor look really tough! :D

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_B
I've had a set of 24x12x12 tires on my old 3416 and just put them on my new (to me) Allis 917. They fit great. The only issue is the rear pulleys (for like a tiller) are a little difficult to remove with the wider tires. There are no clearance issues with the mower deck. Oh yeah, the 12" wide tires makes the tractor look really tough! :D
What rims are you using the 23.5 X 10.5 X 12 that come on the 3416 or 917? Or would I need a wider rim than that.

I'm just using the stock rims that came on my 3416. Originally it had 23 X 10.5 X 12 tires. Works great!

The 24x12x12 tires will fit on the stock rims, which are 8" wide at bead area(for 23x10.5x12), although my 2 sets are both on 10" wide cub cadet rims used on their super garden tractor machines. The cub rims have a "deep dish" offset which actually gives more clearance around rear and pulleys, also gives the "drag slicks" look to the rear end.

Keep in mind that "bar lug" tires of the same dimension as "turf tires" are smaller in diameter. I have Goodyear and Firestone 26x12x12 lug tires and Carlisle 26x12x12 Turf Chiefs. Even Carlisle's Super Lug is at least 1"+ smaller in diameter than the Turf Chief of the same size.