Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42 in mower deck problem

jsgHB212

I am new to this site but have owned my AC HB212 for seven years. Before that it belonged to my Grandparents. It seems that we are forever rebuilding the main drive tower on the deck. Bearings and the shaft. I think the bearing gets tight quits spinning,.. so the shaft spins in the bearing wearing a grove in the shaft. In the past we thought it was just because it was cutting about 1.5 acre lot... but this last run of about 5 years was only me .5 acre lot. Not a big job. Does anyone have tip either in a change or improvement to make, or due I have something assembled wrong. I have always taken care to pull it apart and re- assemble it the same way. It always looks right, tight and aligned. Any tips would be appreciated.

First of all, welcome Jeff. I hope we can help solve this problem as it's not uncommon for these mowers to easily handle 10 acres a week with no problem. I don't know what quality or brand bearing your useing but the one big thing that comes to mind is are you useing the spacer inside on the shaft that goes between the bearings? This spaces the bearings and allows for equaliseing the load of tightning the capnut that holds the assembly together. Also if there is any slippage or play on the shaft where the old bearings have spun a groove on the shaft it will need to be fixed before useing it again. Although not rediculas, it is a press fit and rebuilding the shaft or replaceing it to correct a badly worn shaft may be nessacery. If it's not too bad some locktight may be used to help seat it in.