Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Grass mowing???

MPH

Good friend of mine seeded his first lawn a few weeks ago and was wondering how tall it should get before he mows it. I told him I think if you keep it short at first it will stool out thicker quicker but said I would search you experts for more info. Thanks for any knowledge shared.

Most of what I ever seeded the instructions have always said to let it get 3 inches before the first mowing.

;)Marty, :DOnly thing I remember is they used to tell you to mow with a reel mower the first couple cuttings.:D :II think maybe that's obsolete now, huh?:I Joe

Marty; You are right about how the cutting will make it spread quicker. I usually let it grow up to four or five inches. Then if at all possible, try not to turn too sharp on it. Pretty fragile under there right now. Be Real (or reel) careful. You are just trying to cut the top inch or so. Good luck, Ken

My brother-in-law maintains the grounds at a golf course. I just re-seeded an area and he said mow at your usual height and mow often. He said a couple times a week. Also he said use a starter fertilizer. He prefers to "spoon feed" the area with a lighter dose of fertilizer every week. Basically give it just what it needs when it needs it.

I would put fertilizer out a day or two before I seeded it, and let a good shower come, then plant it right after the storm. This is what i done to the grass in the back yard and it done pretty good. With the occasional mowing with a "REAL" mower "Foot Dragger".

quote:
Originally posted by 10HorseMan
With the occasional mowing with a "REAL" mower "Foot Dragger".
Now that is some REAL GOOD ADVISE.......:D

Thanks guys for the input, will pass it along, 'cept for the partof a 'real;' mower, cuz I got the only one in town. Have a good week

I just cut some new grass. I think it was 4 or6 inches tall. It really shot up after one of our rare rains around here. I used a 21 inch Snapper push mower so the big heavy landlord wouldn't rut it up or damage the new grass. I also limed and fertilized before the rain. Not sure its doing so well, just not enough rain here. Seems like the sprinkler water just doesn't pack enough nitrogen.

Mike, If you drag your feet, it will kill the grass. Don't want no foot draggin on new grass. LOL

Marty when I took the Turf classes while working for the farm supply company the proffessors at UK always said to let new grass grow to 3-5" before the first mowing. After that mow as usual. Also, use a time releaes fertilizer to prevent burning the young grass. Remember that fertilizing grass during the growing season promotes only top growth. To get strong healthy grass apply one dose about late fall and a second dose around the middle of January. I guess in your area that might be just before the first snowfall and after iceout. This promotes root growth and healthy grass,plus fertilizing during the growing season sure makes the weeds grow competing with the grass for nutrients.