Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

starter woes?

srwven

My 7014 ignition switch went a while back (wouldn't shut off) so I replaced it with a new one. I just unplugged the harness, replaced, and plugged it back in. It kept throwing the circuit breaker. Took weeks to narrow it down to the previous owners rewiring the harness to use a non-original ignition switch (they had the 12V accessory wire going to the ground). Anyhow, intermittently whenever I would try to start the tractor the solenoid would make a buzzing sound. I would jump the the starter to bypass that until I can get a new solenoid. Well last night, the starter motor would not turn the motor over. Just hums and struggles to turn the motor over, even with a freshly charged battery or jumping it with the starter. I am assuming this starter is tired and time for a new one? Is there a way to check the solenoid to see if that is bad too without the starter functioning?

First thing clean the connections at the batt, solonoid and starter both hot side and grounds. Bad connections cause high current draw which could have caused the switch to go bad.

Check the voltage on both sides of the solenoid with it engaged - the reading should be the same. If the solenoid can't pass full current, there would be a voltage drop. Have you checked the connections directly on the starter? (Also the ground connection) Disconnect them, clean them with WD40 or an electrical cleaner and re-connect. Sometimes dirt/corrosion prevents full current flow to the starter.

I just went thru a similar mess like this myself. It took 3 new solenoids to get a working one. If you know its bad you need to replace that first. Its bad if there is no voltage coming from the starter side when the key is turned. If you have power there and at the starter with the old solenoid or a new solenoid then your problem is in the starter. Battery has to be fully charged and all the grounds need to be good and clean too