Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

POW'R MAX

megandky

I bought a simplicity tractor last week. It is my first tractor and i am not quite sure what I got. It has a tag on it that reads No. 954 2409. It has a homemade ROPS with hooks ( ?counterweights) and a FEL. Meter says 1350 hrs. It is going to a repair shop for tune-up and new starter. i will try to attach pix. Great website! Sorry pix in wrong mode.

Welcome Matt and congrats on your tractor. It's a 4041 Pow'r Max. The Mfg. No. for the tractor is 990954 and the 2409 is the serial no. Here is the Operator's manual: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1369_01_PM_SA.pdf Here's the Parts manual: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1370_00_XX_S.pdf

Thanks Greg WOW,I was going to pay 20 bucks on eBay for a manual like that, I guess my membership dues have reaped rewards already!

I have the same tractor. Your gonna have a whole lot of fun. Remember to keep the front axles well greased. Don't forget to grease the under the swing arm in the middle front.

Thanks Ira I'm excited about the tractor. Do you have a loader? You have quite a collection of simplicity tractors! I would like to find a rear mower and blade for mine. Idon't think you can connecy a belly mower and loader together. Matt

Hi Matt And Welcome!! Do You Have the Fever Yet?? I Have A 4041 PowerMax With A 1 Bottom Plow, A 5 Ft Rear Grader Blade,60" Belly Mower, Rear Tiller, And A Freshly Rebuilt Onan CCKB. I Am Sure You Will Find Your Membership Fun As Well As Educational. If You Are Looking For Attatchments Or Parts Jim Powers Who Is A Member His Member Name Is JP Is A Great Place To Start. He Is Very Knowledgeable And Has A Ton Of Stuff. For These PowerMax'S.

Thanks Jim I do have the fever! My wife would tell you it is the fever of the month! This website and it's tractor owners are a invaluable resource. How many hours on your tractor before the rebuild? Matt

Matt, I am one of those people who doesn't go by hours. The need for a rebuild usually depends on the severity of the work being done during those hours of operation, and whether there is a "loose nut" behind the wheel who is abusing the machine during operation. If you do regular maintenance and just keep a close eye on the way the engine and drivetrain is working, you can be a better judge of when to rebuild a specific part of the tractor than any hour meter can. Hour meters are very useful on large farm equipment that is being run constantly by several operators in a situation where the equipment must be kept running to make the farm productive. If you can stand a little down time if the tractor breaks, then just use the hour meter as a rough reference and rely on your eyes, ears, and that seat-of-the-pants feel that tractor guys usually have. Welcome as a new member!

Thanks Rod I wish I knew more about the tractor I bought. The old fella in Northfield,Ma who owned it for 1 year prior to me only used it to move mulch. He said it was hard to find parts and people who knew anything about old simplicity tractors but he doesn't own a computer! Matt

Mat, the biggerst diff between the 4041's and 9020's are the later model 9020's have a touch heavier front spindle assembly on the front axle, and a little diff. paint/decal schem. As for getting attachmaents, watch the classified's here closely or place a wanted ad. You can ussually find what your looking for with no trouble.

Hi Matt, You have joined the right club if you starve for information. I have found hours of reading by using the "Search the Forums" (under discussions at the top of every page). Just punch in a Keyword or two and hit the "Archived postS" button. I just about rebuilt my last Project (A Powermax 4041) from the info found in here. You will learn a lot. Welcome to the Club. Ken

Matt Mine Had 1400 hours on it it was using oil but the oil pump shaft snapped and I lost oil pressure, so I opted to do the complete overhaul.

Matt, FYI: Simplicity PowerMax, AC 720 Transmission filters: Part Number: 51307, WIX Part Number: 85307*, Car Quest Part Number: 1307*, NAPA, Part Number: B163, Baldwin *Above manufactured by WIX. Oil Filters for Onan CCKB 19.5 HP Part Number: S3600, STP Part Number: 85516, Car Quest Part Number: 51516, WIX Part Number: B243, Baldwin

• 2 weeks later...
Can I join in on the fun? This is my first post as well. I have a Simplicity 4041 as well. I use it to mow 3.5 of the 6 acres I own. I just acquired the tractor with the property so I do not know much about it. I do know I have an oil leak right now that I need to get fixed. Thanks for the manual links!!

Rodon, I have my CCKB engine torn down on the workbench as we speak, I hope I found my oil leak, but I am replacing most of the gaskets along the way, pulled the heads and the pistons seem fine so I amm not going to play with them, make sure you have a gear puller like the service manual recomends It is not that big of a job and the engine seems very straight foprward to tear down

My leak was my oil light sender/switch. It was $10 from Onan. Also bought the square head screw for it in case the light goes bad and I need it in a pinch. I have not removed the engine yet. I am WAY WAY new to tractors. I am happy I found this simple leak. I will get more bold as time dgoes on. This is OT but the Pow'r started the trip. Yesterday I drove 200 miles to Kokomo IN (one way) to meet KDHehr from this site. He sold me two Titan rear tires for the my 4041 Pow'r. They are brand new and the price was awesome - size 29X12.5X15. On the way I stoped (80 miles in) and picked up my dad. We spent the day driving around IN talking and catching up. Went to dinner at Taco Bell (I said he could eat ANYWHERE he wanted and he picked Taco Bell). He is a good guy (2 years retired at age 63). Anyway hope everyones Father's Day was awesome.

Matt, Instead of tearing into the tractor and rebuilding everything, I kind of "check it out" first. That way you can kind of get a feel for what noises are normal or not. (Assuming it runs!) What I usually do on some new toy before I run it too much is change all the fluids, even if the filters look new. (Don't forget the drop housings in the rear end) Grease everything that can be greased. Change plugs, air filter, etc. Tighten loose nuts and bolts. You just never know how long it has been since this stuff has been done. I have an old McCormick W6 that I changed that gear lube in even though it doesn't do any hard work these days. (It only does parade duty.) The piece of mind knowing the oil is good was worth the 14 gallons of 80-90W. At least now you have a starting point for you own records. After all that, start using it and look, listen for loud noises and such and repair anything that may come up. If the engine is clattering away, repair it before it becomes a pile of scrap. And for sure, ask lots of questions!!! Everyone in this club is a wealth of knowledge and are eager to help out. As you have already realized, the cheapest $10 you'll spend!!I also have a 4041 that I can't wait to repaint, but I am still ironing out the mechanicals on it. (Don't want to scratch the new paint you know!) I do the same routine for my hit and miss emgines. Lars

Thanks for that advice Swede. I actually bring home the tractor in 2 days. It took 2 1/2 weeks for the mechanic to get parts, gaskets/filters etc.. I am going to do oil changes, filters myself from now on. i will need help, glad there sre these forums...

Hey Matt, Take two asprin & call us in the AM!! LOL Swede is quite precise! Most of these units need a (Well deserved..) going over. It also brings you up to speed on the status of it's 'well being'. Don't be afraid to LOOK the tractor over, pop off the trans cover or bottom cover/ drip pan. Some of the best Pmax/720 stories come from doing this! Everything from bee nests to unknown animal bones seem to fall out! As ALWAYS, Keep us posted!! JP