Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engine swap

Kenh

May dad just gave me his 22 year old 7116. The engine is getting tired and has some other problems (weak spark and alternator won't charge). What is a popular engine swap and what are some of the problems to watch out for? Thanks Ken

I think you have best engine in mower now. Whether it is a Kohler or a Briggs. A rebuild will last many years. Do it before damage is fatal.

Another option is the Edens LTD. Kolher command kit. They are site sponsor and sell a real good kit to repower the 7100 series tractors. The kit has every last bolt you need, and has real good instructions on how to do it step by step.

Welcome to the site/club, Ken!! The Simplicity 7116 likely has a Brigs 16 horse engine. I would try to get all the specs off your old engine and replace with a like engine or if you have the capability, I would rebuild the ne you have now. Either the Brigs or Kohler 16 horse engine both have enough power to what ever you want your tractor to do. My opinion. It is free so value accordingly^ Dan

The engine is a Briggs. It runs OK?? most of the time but will on occation smoke like a steam engine (blue oil smoke) and be ok again for a while. It also starts hard, but again runs ok after it's started. Thanks for the info!! Sounds like a winter project.

Ken, If the smoking is intermittent as you say, then I would check the crankcase breather on the engine. It may be sludged up and periodically sticking. If the crankcase is allowed to pressurize, the rings will stop sealing and allow oil vapors to be sucked from the crankcase into the cylinder. The crankcase normally runs under vacuum because the breather acts as a one-way valve and allows pressure and gases out but prevents outside air from being sucked in, thus creating a vacuum when the piston goes upward in the cylinder.

I've heard of guys replacing with a new Briggs 16hp Vanguard V-twin. I don't know what all of the details are as far as alterations etc.