Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stranded BIG-TEN no start

ridgerunner

Had the Big-Ten out behind the house today, shut it down when I had to move some stuff. Got back on went to start it and got a half turn out of the starter, the battery died. Its 92deg with high humidity, sweat in my eyes and now I'm mad.}:) So now I have two options the first is push it (the lift boom and the heavy front weights attached, so this is out. The second is go to the garage and get a wrench, back to the tractor pull the battery, back to the garage charge the battery, then after waiting back to the tractor install the battery. What a waste of time this will be. (I got other things to waste my time on) So off to get a wrench, on the work bench I see some small rope and I think to my self (Maybe?) Cut two feet and tied a 1/2" wrench to one end, just incase it don't work I still can remove the battery. Wrapped the rope around the bgb pully turned the key to run and pulled. She fired right up man was I happy.:) So If ya do get in a bind it works.

I have had a starter rope tied to the back of the seat of my Big 10 since the day I took it out of the box, September 1965. Very seldom fails even in zero weather. BTW the starter rope came with the tractor. Figured they would not have put it in there if it didn't work. Battery failures occur more often. Keeps the steam from coming out of your ears. Conrad

quote:
Originally posted by Conrad
I have had a starter rope tied to the back of the seat of my Big 10 since the day I took it out of the box, September 1965. Very seldom fails even in zero weather. BTW the starter rope came with the tractor. Figured they would not have put it in there if it didn't work. Battery failures occur more often. Keeps the steam from coming out of your ears. Conrad
Same here, except my Big Ten is a '66.

My latest project is an early 700 w/o elctric start, starts every time most times 1st pull. When cold full choke 3/4 throttle some armstrong and away she goes no batt to go dead or wires to short out. Simplicity in it's simplest form.

Be carefull with that rope I had one catch in the wheel last year and had to make another to make the pull .Don't forget to put gas in the tank before you start in a pulling contest.I did make it through the pull before it ran out of gas .On another tractor I forgot to turn on the gas valve. I only made it 1/2 way before it quit. Bob