Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear Blade

stevenj

I've got the grader blade that I bought from Dutch and the hitch that John Holcomb fabricated. I was wondering how I could mount it behind the tractor. Dutch included instructions with the blade on how to mount it behind the tractor using a Brinly-Hardy hitch arm and a sleeve hitch, neither of which I have. So I thought about it for a while and came up with this bracket.

Here it is mounted on the tractor showing the lift rod. I had to add another bracket and mount to the hitch. The added piece should not interfere with mounting the hitch under the tractor. The bolt that goes through the tractor drawbar keeps the mounting bracket from rotating.

This is the blade that I got from Dutch installed.

Last year I acquired a piece of a road grader cutting edge that was scrapped. One of the cutting edges was not worn, so I cut it down to 48" overall width and flipped it over. I had to drill two 5/8" holes to mount it to the hitch. Let me tell you, this steel sure was hard to drill. I had to use a cobalt bit and even at that it took forever, but I could cut it down to width using an abrasive cut-off disk in my angle grinder. The blade is 3/4" thick, so it is heavier than the 1/2" blade from Dutch and the added width (48" vs. 42") allows it to stick out a little farther from the rear tires.

I welded 6 of the holes shut that originally attached the cutting edge to the road grader. If I need extra weight I can attach the blade from Dutch to the backside of the other blade. With the blade in the raised position, it sure lightens up the front tires and makes steering a lot easier. You have to be careful with rapid starts as the front end will lift. I tried it out briefly to level some topsoil and it seems to work fine. I just wish I could apply down pressure, but with the rear cable lift, there is no way. The one thing that I have trouble adjusting to is that to lower the blade I have to push the hydrolift lever forward. Can I mount the cable to the other mounting hole on the lift shaft under the tractor to make the rear blade lower when I pull back on the hydrolift lever?

quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
The one thing that I have trouble adjusting to is that to lower the blade I have to push the hydrolift lever forward. Can I mount the cable to the other mounting hole on the lift shaft under the tractor to make the rear blade lower when I pull back on the hydrolift lever?
You sure can. Great job on the hitch bracket and I like that longer blade too.8D

I think if you hook up rear lift according to directions for heavy duty 38 inch tiller . the blade will go down when you pull lever back.

Very nice job. I bought a blade from Dutch too, but never got around to figuring out how to mount it. Now maybe I will. Thanks for sharing!

quote:
Originally posted by stevenj [br I just wish I could apply down pressure, but with the rear cable lift, there is no way.
Just add weights to the rear lift, were the tiller gets hooked up. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/nandog/a1.jpg[/img]

I think we are looking for down pressure when using the center mount position for the blade. Using the rear mount position there are several ways to add down pressure using weights. Not so for the center mount on an RB tractor.

I thought he was referring to the fact in order for blade to go down,he pushes hydraulic lever forward and when he raised the blade he had to pull lever back. Interesting on how everyone read statement differently

You can have downpressure with the center mounted grader blade. I saw a post and the front end of the tractor was off the ground. I think he used a hydraulic lift, maybe fed from the hydro. I can't recall the details but do remember seeing it. I have also thought from time to time about how to get downpressure from the electric lifts, and have had a few thoughts but have not yet done it.