Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016 pto to mower belt # ?

Leroy

The Deck is the 1690502 it's the 48" from the 7117 it hooks up like it belongs there on the 7016. But the same belts do not interchange. The PTO's are in a different place. I have tried a Gates 6870 and a Gates 6871. The Gates 6870 broke before i had the place mowed. The gates 6871 didn't break and I was on my second mowing when this one decided to slip on the pto. This is a 1/2 " variety 71" long. These belts are obviously incapeable of the task week to week. I looked in my documentation for the belt number and there isn't one, for the pto to mower deck. Only one listed is the deck belt.

quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Simplicity part #1722039 = 71.6" HA.
Thanks Greg, It figures, the 70 " was a might tight. The 71" Just fit. So 71.6" is the ticket. It is probably not the 1/2 " variety because it can get lost in the pulley. After polling the local Simplicty dealer who has no record of the Soveriegn 7016 and the part number doesn't quite show up. Also the JD dealer could not find that number to match anything nor could he find a Soverign 7016. The Kubota Dealer could find the Soverign 7016 but it did not jive with the 71"er or 71.6" He looked for 25 minutes in various catalogs and 4 walks in the back and he got an assistant to help him verify that the computer was wrong in that he had one. So i asked him to order a 5/8 x 71 incher. No cross reference. Maybe these books are not as old as the ones you got the number from but these folks can't find it. Talk about support. Kubota came through on a competitors part. Sheesh.

Leroy, I put a slightly smaller backside idler on the tractor. That allows me to run the shorter, standard size, belt. Been using it that way for about four years. Had the mower and idler setup on both my 716H and my 713S. Works for me!

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Leroy, I put a slightly smaller backside idler on the tractor. That allows me to run the shorter, standard size, belt. Been using it that way for about four years. Had the mower and idler setup on both my 716H and my 713S. Works for me!
So do you reconcile that the belt is not available or you had simlular encounters and decided to reduce the confusion?

Leroy, The 2005 Belt & Blade Ready Reference Manual lists all 48" decks with the 7016 tractors as PTO Belt no. 1722039. The newer deck from the 7117 is not listed with the 7016 tractors in that manual. If you will check the "What Fits?" section on the Simple trACtors site for 48" Rotary Lawn Mowers you will find deck no. 1690502 matched to the 7016 tractors. You will find that it says that match-up requires PTO belt no. 163011. That number has been superseded by part no. 1722039. I fear that the 5/8 X 71 inch belt that you ordered will be too short.

Leroy, I think this link will take you to the parts manual Greg used to find the belt: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_493_03_LT_S.pdf On page 69 of the manaul, belt #163011 is listed; this crosses to the number Greg stated. This parts list is for a model 169202 48" deck, might be the last 48" deck built for the 7000 series tractors. It also lists parts for the 7016 tractor in addition to the deck.

Hey Bill, The deal is that the local Simplicity dealer does not list the 7016 yet the Kubota dealer does. While that part number didn't cross over to anything any of the dealers had. Because the Kubota Parts department spent so much time trying to help me with a product not their own i did business with them. Im not doubting Greg's info but my mower deck # is 1690502. I'm astounded about those facts i just listed. Kubota wants my business and the attitude is obvious. Thats the kind of thing folks notice. The other thing is Kubota is, many times alone, at the Home and Garden shows in my area. Agco does not want a piece of the Kubota or JD pie in this area.

Leroy, I hear you. It's a shame the local Simplicity Dealer isn't helpful. If he hasn't been in business a long time, maybe he doesn't have all the old microfinch cards my dealer uses. I'm lucky that I've got a couple in the area that are helpful and Jack's Small Engine is close by as well. Your deck (#1690502) is listed the same parts manual I use routinely for my GTHL and its 48" deck (#1691219). It can be found here: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_861_05_AT_SMA.pdf This parts manual is for 7100 series and newer tractors. On page 75 it lists PTO belt #108508 (replaced by #1713515, a 78.1" HA belt) for both your deck and mine. That's why I figured deck #169202 mentioned above might be the last deck manufactured for the 7000 series.

Bill The Simplicity Dealer didn't use and my not posess a microfiche. He had one parts manual and was hopeing to help a customer who came in after me. His loss Kubota's gain. I bought the deck with the 7117 and was told it would fit, and it does fit the 7016. However the 7016 is a 3 speed w/ hi-lo the PTO is in a diffenet location And the belt length is shorter than my 7117 required. So i took a rope and ran it around the pulleys, cut it to the correct length. It was roughly 70-71". 1/2 width 70 Inch required prying it on and it snapped before i was done with the first go around. The 71" still 1/2 inch wide. finished the job but the belt got stuck on the second mowing. a little smoke and i just took it off to locate a better belt. Kubota should have it in the next couple of days.

Leroy Simplicity's Belt and blade guide lists all belts for all Simplicity products back to 1959. This manual is available for download on Simplicity's Tech Pub site. Simplicity belts do not cross to other brands or generic belts. OEM simplicity belts are critical On Simplicity attachments because of the twists and turns and direction changes. These belts also run on both the front and back sides of the belts. Simplicity belts are designed for this, the others are not. The initial cost for a simplicity belt in most cases is more expensive but in the long run is much cheaper. When a Simplicity belt fails 99% of the time it is because of miss alignment of pulleys or the belt rubbing some where. Cheaper is not always the cheapest 7016 42" deck PTO belt # 176439 Length 74.1" type HA 1/2" x 11/32" 48" deck PTO belt # 163011 Length 71.6" type HA 1/2" x 11/32" 7117 42" deck PTO belt # 1666801 Length 80.1" type HA 1/2" x 11/32" 48" deck PTO belt # 1713515 Length 78.1" type HA 1/2" x 11/32"

Leroy, It wasn't because of the local dealer (who is only open during banker's hours) couldn't get the belt. It was because my belts always break at wierd times. I got tired of haveing to stop what I was doing, wait as much as two days for the dealer to re-open, and take off from work to get to the dealer. I just wanted to be able to run to Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc. in an emergency and be able to pick up a standard belt to keep the thing running. Don't have a single factory belt on any of my tractors, but that is just me and the way I do things. I set up my equipment to be convenient for me, not the local dealers. If it wasn't for convenience, I would be mowing my 1/3 acre lot with a push mower instead of a 48 inch Simplicity mower. I have very little spare time and don't like to waste it. I do agree that if you get the "correct" Simplicity belt, it will probably last five times as long as a standard off the shelf commerical belt. This is because it is designed specifically for that application. On the other hand, if the Simplicity dealer gives you the wrong belt, then it may not last 15 minutes. I do good with commercial belts. I get a couple of years out of them. I'm happy with that. Just irks me when a company designs a unit to need a special belt length just so you will have to come back to them for the high dollar belt. Sears was notorious for this. I have modified several Sears machines to accept standard belts also.

One online reference I have found useful for getting 3rd party belts at an auto parts store nearby is http://napaaircompressors.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=2729 (I know it says air compressors, but they have AC, Simplicity, etc. LGT's listed in their search engine). You can find NAPA's belt number then any other auto parts store should be able to cross it to the lines they carry. Even that jackssmallengine site has 3rd party belts listed too with part numbers, but I have never tried to cross them. I hear what HubbardRA is saying, I have been out mowing in the dark late at night and broken a belt and wanted to find one quickly first thing in the morning. Sometimes when there is so much mowing to do you have to get it done quickly before the weather gets bad again. I usually try to come back to it later and get a Simplicity belt, then hang the 3rd party one on a nail for next time.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Leroy Simplicity's Belt and blade guide lists all belts for all Simplicity products back to 1959. This manual is available for download on Simplicity's Tech Pub site. Simplicity belts do not cross to other brands or generic belts. OEM simplicity belts are critical On Simplicity attachments because of the twists and turns and direction changes. These belts also run on both the front and back sides of the belts. Simplicity belts are designed for this, the others are not. The initial cost for a simplicity belt in most cases is more expensive but in the long run is much cheaper. When a Simplicity belt fails 99% of the time it is because of miss alignment of pulleys or the belt rubbing some where. Cheaper is not always the cheapest 7016 42" deck PTO belt # 176439 Length 74.1" type HA 1/2" x 11/32" 48" deck PTO belt # 163011 Length 71.6" type HA 1/2" x 11/32" 7117 42" deck PTO belt # 1666801 Length 80.1" type HA 1/2" x 11/32" 48" deck PTO belt # 1713515 Length 78.1" type HA 1/2" x 11/32"
Thanks Maynard. I was not balking on price, I was wanting availability. I put the mower deck in the simplicty pub site and the Deck to pto is not listed. No doubt because they don't know what it is attaching to . But the manuals for the 7117 or the 7016 also are void of this part number. So i followed the rope trick for the pinch i was in. $47.00/2 belts and my grass is cut and it looks good for the first time in 2 years. I will ask the Simplicity dealer to look the 163011 belt up. If he has a problem with it i will buy what Kubota is providing because he has already orderd it. then ask them to order the simplicity 163011.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Leroy, It wasn't because of the local dealer (who is only open during banker's hours) couldn't get the belt. It was because my belts always break at wierd times. I got tired of haveing to stop what I was doing, wait as much as two days for the dealer to re-open, and take off from work to get to the dealer. I just wanted to be able to run to Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc. in an emergency and be able to pick up a standard belt to keep the thing running. Don't have a single factory belt on any of my tractors, but that is just me and the way I do things. I set up my equipment to be convenient for me, not the local dealers. If it wasn't for convenience, I would be mowing my 1/3 acre lot with a push mower instead of a 48 inch Simplicity mower. I have very little spare time and don't like to waste it. I do agree that if you get the "correct" Simplicity belt, it will probably last five times as long as a standard off the shelf commerical belt. This is because it is designed specifically for that application. On the other hand, if the Simplicity dealer gives you the wrong belt, then it may not last 15 minutes. I do good with commercial belts. I get a couple of years out of them. I'm happy with that. Just irks me when a company designs a unit to need a special belt length just so you will have to come back to them for the high dollar belt. Sears was notorious for this. I have modified several Sears machines to accept standard belts also.
I never thought you were a wize guy. No i have to rethinkit. Very good idea. The engineers may or may not have had the inclination to reduce compititon when they decided on pulley sizes. The power transmission guys can provide belts fer sure. Pulley design is our problem. However if i can support the company who makes/deals my machine i will. But if they are more interested in other business i'm down the road.