Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"hi-low" drive - general questions

John_RI

I’ve always been interested in getting a “hi-low” unit for my 60’s landlord but haven’t found the right deal. I’d really be interested to hear from people that have & use them to find out what they think of them. Are they reliable, high maintenance, built tough like the rest of the tractor, easy to work on, are parts available, etc? I have the larger 9” or 10” drive pulley that I sometimes use when tilling. How much better, if any, is the hi-low drive? John

Think of it as, work gear=Low, and or run gear= High. Today i was pulling out a old telephone pole that was left agasint the fence from who knows when there were three sections. In reverse the 7016 ag tires just dug a rut. I turned it around and used low 1st and out it came. Weight distribution probably had more to do with the rut digging than the reverse low. If you can pry one from ebay or someone you'll be glad you did.

Thanks Leroy, that's the info I'm looking for! Just 2 questions: you don't find it to be a weak link in the system, and will one fit right onto a std, 3 speed transmission? Thanks again, John

I will say with the unit you have in your profile. The model 2012 Standard Equipment. Magneto ignition. Push-button starting. Three forward and one reverse speeds. (Optional 6 speeds forward, 2 reverse.) Foot operated clutch and brake combination. Implement lift system. Hinged seat mounted on rubber. 12-volt electric system. Three-stage voltage regulator with large 40 amp automotive battery. Four-cycle Briggs & Stratton air-cooled engine with oil-foam air cleaner. Electric starter-generator. Key ignition switch. Controlled traction differential. Drawbar. Foam-rubber seat. Fenders. 6.50-8 front "Terra-Tires". 8.50-12 rear "Terra-Tires". Removable hood. Gas Gauge. Ammeter. Optional Equipment. Speed reduction drive. PTO center mount. Counterweights. Rear wheel weights. Electric lights front and rear. Chrome hub caps. Hydraulic power lift system. Dual rear wheels. Hitch adapter. Auxiliary weight. Tire chains. Dual lift control lever. HI-Lo range pulley (provides 6 speeds forward, 2 reverse). Leaf mulcher. SHIPPING WEIGHT (approx.) 690 lbs. ---------------- I didn't have all that on the top of my head. I had to follow the SimpletrACtors clickable bar( top of page here) then 1967 2012 and features which took me to this url. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1962/features.htm