Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hearing Protection Help Please

Boney

I use plain old ear plugs now and then. Don`t like it but don`t want to have to buy hearing aides either.

I use ear plugs designed for gun enthusiasts/shooters. It is late - lost some hearing operating large farm tractors in 70's & 80'sB). But I'm gonna protect what I have.

I use max lite these are the most confortable ear plugs I have found. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53152&item=7521778459&rd=1

Say again???? :D I never have and probably never will. I like to hear all outside sounds like cars, kids, unexpected engine noises, varmints, my wife calling........ ear plugs you say? ;)

I use Peltor brand "Work Tunes" They are ear protection head phones..I was and still am not real crazy about wearing ear plugs ect..But I read on the commercial lawn care forum about these and most everyone liked them..I gave them a try and I now find myself wearing them out in the garage or just working in the garden ect..Even with the radio on and turned up you can still hear most all sounds of the tractor and kids talking/playing in the yard..The radio reception is very good on these too as most all the radios I have put in my pole barn will only get a couple stations but these "Work Tunes" work the same in the barn as they would outside..I have had then now for just over a year and use them all the time and even forgot to turn them off a couple times and they still have the same battery in them.. My wife got them for me for Fathers day last year at Walmart..I see they run about $50. I have seen them on clearance at the end of the season for about $35.

I never liked earplugs or the earmuffs. With them on I felt I couldn't hear the little nuances of the engine running if there was a problem with it. Now? I just turn off my hearing aids, and they turn into earplugs. Either style is good if properly used. Read the instructions and use them religiously.

As a kid Lawn mowers and air plane engines soothed me to sleep for a noon nap. Im not botherd by a small engines noise but then i don't run strait pipes. A weed eater is more damaging to my hearing than a 16 to 20 horse. What riles my ears, and ear plugs dont work, is rap music. for that trash i need blood pressure reduction plugs.

I love the "work tunes". I bought a pair for work when i was running a fill at work with a D6 dozer. Just ear plugs bored me to death, but i got these and now i use them when i'm at home too.

When I need a lot of power I use work tunes. Reception is good, noise level is low and I can hear almost everything. The best thing for me is to run the engine in the "sweet spot", just enough power to get the job done. Running there I find the noise level very low. I also run the origional muffler for the big 10. But then, large aircraft engines and truck/construction diesels have already had their effect. WHAT DID YOU SAY???

At work, we use a lot of big hammers mounted on our excavators for concrete demo and Pile-driving. We have measured the noise level and it reaches 110 to 120 at times (Very dangerous) We use a high quality foam ear-plug with a 32 decible rating. Then on the loudest jobs, we put on shooters headgear over that. For running the tractors at home I just use headphones with noise reduction. Ken

I use the AOsaftey ear muffs with a 22db drop in sound levels. Its has a AM/FM radio in them so I dot go crazy. I really like them a lot, I am loosing some hearing i feel with the long hours I have spent on the mower just this summer. As well as the 25 years I worked in the music industery. Only one compalint, It makes my ears swet, so I figure by the end of the summer Ill have the smallest (not fat) ears in the state.

Be careful when using work tunes not to turn the volume up to loud, as that will do as much damage as having nothing.

I bought a pair of the muffs and some plugs after checking the packaging for the best sound reduction. I find the muffs much more comfortable, particularly when running a chainsaw. I remember years ago having my muffler blow while about 50 miles from home. I just used some wadded (not too tight) paper towel or tissue, which works fairly well. I use the same technique in movies, where the sound is always about twice as loud as it has to be able to hear everything and still get the thrills.

Northerntool.com has WorkTunes muffs available in their online catalog. Two models, one at $59 and one at $69. I don't know what the difference is other than color. Dan