Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Lancer- Evaluation & pictures...

SmilinSam

[img]http://www.simplicitymfg.com/images/s_lancer.jpg[/img] First time ( and only time) I saw these was when I went and visited Al Edens shop last summer. I didn't try it out, but wish I had now just to see what they were like. They look interesting, but the only reservation I have is visibility concerns out front and maybe steering. With the old Sunrunners and FCH units the operator sat right behind the deck with wide open visibility. With the lancers you seem to be way back in the " trunk" so to speak. Looks like the engine could block the line of sight. Anyone hear any feedback from actual owners of these?

Sam we've not ordered any of those in at the dealership so I can't answer your question but I agree with your assement on steering and visibilty.

Can't answer 1st hand, but, looking at the picture I don't think visibility would be a problem at all!

Really these dont look alot different chassis and sitting on the groundwise from the Sunrunner & FCH units. Steering and handling should be similar I would think, and after talking to the boys , who did test drive the one Al had, I guess that is a correct assesment. No one carries them around here. Makes me wonder if this will be a short lived machine.

Well guys, I found one at a dealer who got it from another dealer a couple of weeks ago. Drove it around and bought it. Its suppposed to be delivered this week sometime. Should be able to mow the yard with it by the weekend even if it doesnt rain.... Brand new at $2800 + tax. From what I know of the pricing thats not bad.

Cool Sam, Looks like it should be a fun ride. Let us know how it mows! I always wanted a Sunrunner, for the simple fact that they look "different" and the Lancer falls into that same category!

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Sam, How many new tractors and mowers do you have now????
Massey GC 2300 now 1 1/2 year old, and now paid for. Conquest 1 year old w/ cab , Tiller & blower kits Massey Conquest version 1 year old Lancer Makes 4, three of which are still being paid for. Hope to pay two off by this time next year...

I've got the D-A Vanguard, which is the "green" version of the Sunrunner. Mine has the 42" deck with the 12hp motor (now a 12.5) and hydro. I really like it, visibility and manueverability is very good, but I will probably be selling it soon as I'm looking to get a larger front-cut machine. 42" just isn't quite enough. That Lancer looks kinda freaky to me, but Simplicity has always pushed the design envelope. Sometimes they sell, sometimes they don't.........

[img]http://a3.cpimg.com/image/B3/68/49301683-d8f9-025C0162-.jpg[/img] [img]http://a4.cpimg.com/image/B4/68/49301684-1c2e-021001D2-.jpg[/img] [img]http://a5.cpimg.com/image/B5/68/49301685-fc53-01C201BE-.jpg[/img] This thing was seemingly made for my Yard! Only bad thing I have to say about it is my boot toe gets caught on the parking brake/clutch pedal when I tip my heel back for reverse. As far as traction on slopes, this thing will climb about any grade going forward. The only time I experienced traction loss was .. #1) When facing downhill and trying to reverse especially when the tractor is tipped slightly to one side or the other. No real problem though as all ya do is raise the deck up to transfer more weight to the wheels. and... #2 When you are tipped heavily to one side on a steeper bank, hence its not a road bank mower by any means. I'm somewhat curious as to how it would perform with ag treads on it.?. Basically its a Sunrunner thats had the engine moved to the front, the seat moved to the rear, and the steering column put in the middle. The foot control hydro is what I class as the big plus over the sunrunner. You do lose visibility of the very front center of the deck, but its not bad enough to complain about. Once you get the hang of steering and its performance charaterisitics you can shave alot of time off mowing around and under bushes & trees in the yard. I must have cut my trimming time in half at least and saved a half hour of time. This one has a 44" deck and thats great. Bigger than the 42, but smaller than the 48 which means I can still get between the buildings and the fence in a couple of places. I'm well pleased anyhow..