Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How much can a BIG-TEN wrecker boom lift?

ridgerunner

Finally finished getting the boom and other pieces out of primer and coated in paint. Parts have been in the basement waiting to get painted so I never had a chance to see what she'd lift. Well today is the day. Will she let me down? lets take a look.

This is the pieces broke down for easy storage, doesn't take up to much room.

Sitting next to it so ya can see how it mounts to the tractor.

The first lift, One-ton Ford rear axle.

Lifted it easy, probably didn't need such a heavy front weight. What else do I got thats heavy? Lets make this baby grunt shall we.

The old Ford now thats heavy, guess I did need that counter weight after all. Reminds me of the story "The little engine that could"

Thats all air. No computer generated picture, no photo touch-ups. Just a tractor, an old truck and lots of air. So how could a little tractor, even with a front mounted counter weight lift that much weight? Any Guesses???

I wouldn't try pulling the Ford. Sitting still most of the weight is on the rear tires, but enough is being transfered to the front to not raise the front.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thats truely awesome! Your fabricating skills are great. The whole rig is so well thought out, I'm really impressed. Thanks for posting the pictures I really enjoy seeing something like this.

Wrecker boom on truck with winch cable hooked to the bottom of that tree setting behind the truck lifting the front end.

Now if you can rig up a hydraulic pump and a valve you won't have to get off the tractor. Looks great!

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Wrecker boom on truck with winch cable hooked to the bottom of that tree setting behind the truck lifting the front end.
I have to agree with Maynard here. For all you Mechanical Engineers, if you do a rough free-body diagram of the set-up, the distance from the rear axle to the cable attached to the truck bumper is roughly the same if not slightly greater than the distance from the center of gravity of the tractor/boom set-up to the rear axle. If you calculated a summation of moments about the rear axle, I'd estimate that the most you could lift without lifting the front end off the ground would be the weight of the tractor/boom set-up. Now if you have the tractor chained to the ground somehow, you'd be able to lift more. If I scale one of the pictures to look at the distance from the eyebolt to the pivot (33 mm) compared to the distance from the hydraulic jack to the pivot (6 mm), I come up with a ratio of 5.5:1. If you had a 6 ton bottle jack the most you could lift would be 2200 lbs. You are certainly lifting much more than that in this photo. In conclusion, NFW. :D

I have just one question. Will your front axle still pivot when that subframe is mounted to the tractor?

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
I have just one question. Will your front axle still pivot when that subframe is mounted to the tractor?
Yes it pivits, the front weight hangs just like a snowblower hitch (rear holes on axle and hangs off top of axle.) From the pictures it does look like subframe and counter weight mount togather but they don't. The subframe mounts to the 1/2" plate thats under the front of the tractor. Next time its mounted on the tractor I can take a close up of how it mounts up. -Paul

Did you say how that tractor lifted it? Was UCD right? My guess is no engine and a lot of weight in the back of the truck :)

quote:
Originally posted by ridgerunner
Finally finished getting the boom and other pieces out of primer and coated in paint. Parts have been in the basement waiting to get painted so I never had a chance to see what she'd lift. Well today is the day. Will she let me down? lets take a look. This is the pieces broke down for easy storage, doesn't take up to much room. Sitting next to it so ya can see how it mounts to the tractor. The first lift, One-ton Ford rear axle. Lifted it easy, probably didn't need such a heavy front weight. What else do I got thats heavy? Lets make this baby grunt shall we. The old Ford now thats heavy, guess I did need that counter weight after all. Reminds me of the story "The little engine that could" Thats all air. No computer generated picture, no photo touch-ups. Just a tractor, an old truck and lots of air. So how could a little tractor, even with a front mounted counter weight lift that much weight? Any Guesses???
1st)guess, I doubt anyone would risk damage to their cromium bumper by running a cable under it when there is a cable roller to access. 2nd)guess, with the truck engine and transmission in the bed i expect the mini tow could lift the truck by haveing a cable running from the Roll bar to the tree and the mini tow towing the truck. Using this method the Cromium bumper would not likely get bent nor would the cable used be dammaged from rubbing the bottom of the bumper. 3rd)guess, The distance from the mini tow to the truck in the last picture indicates far more distance than would be true if it was just lifting. Tree branch, Come-along ratchet cable and a roll bar for help. Very nice job on the Mini tow. I would not have risked bending that nice tube frame either.

I left this pictute out of the original line up because I thought it might be to much of a give away. (would've spoiled the fun:)) If you look at the rear tire on the truck you can see the chain that goes from the bumper to the scotch-block under the tire. One under each tire locks it in place so it can't be dragged backwords. The truck weighs 6700# with everything that's on it. The little tractor could only dream to lift that.

Here it is, now ya know.

"UCD" couldn't have guessed it any closer, almost like he's been spying on me. When i took the photos I had to make sure I didn't get any of the wrecker lights or any of the boom in back, wanted it to look just like a regular truck. Any way the Ford axle is 325# lifts it quite nicely and that is really about the heaviest thing that I plan to lift. This set up will definetly come in handy for future stuff. "stevenj" your right NFW:D And Leroy, you took a guess about not wanting to tweek the chrome bumper.It was a good (different way of looking at it)guess on how to doubt the picture but that bumpers on there for a reason, I hate to say it but that truck knows only one word and its ABUSE. I hope you all enjoyed the photos and don't always believe what you see. -Paul

If the shop that I used to work for had a wrecker like that I would have had no problem towing! lol What a beast even if it is a FORD! lol Elon