Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Here is a few more of my 725

ehertzfeld

Nice Job! Don't know how you guys get those trannys clean enough to put that kind of paint job on them. Every time I have painted one, the paint will be there for the pictures, then will start flaking off. I gave up on colored trannys. I just paint them black (flat black, the color of greasy dirt) so it is not so noticeable if the paint flakes off. Very good job. Keep it clean now!

Thanks for the nice words. The tranny I used brake clean and a small wire brush to clean. I painted the whole tranny/BGB together. Accually I did it with a brush frist then spreyed it for a last coat. All the other parts were pieced out and heated just enough to burn the paint, dirt, and grease off. Then I primed with Kylon grey and used ACE hardwear industrial paint. The color is Allis Chalmers orange. They sell them in pints and spray cans. I'm not too impressed with it right now, it scratches real easy. I mite try the next one using a gun with the same paint. Elon

Those 6/12 bar tires look tough. The whole tractor looks nice and you can still use it,Matt

The Chevy Engine Orange in rattlecans that I used on my 713S also scratches very easy. It just isn't nearly as hard as automobile paints. If you are planning to spray the same paint in an air type sprayer, you might want to add some automotive paint hardener. I've never tried that.

• 2 weeks later...
Elon, That is a real nice job you have done! I mixed hardener with the paint that I used on my Money pit. John

That looks reall good! Make sure you use a respirator when spraying hardener added paints. It'll put a hurtin on you quick.

Elon, Thanks for posting the pictures of your 725. I put them in a folder with the pictures of my 725. I'm hoping that it turns out as nice looking as yours did. I'm not looking to make mine an exact factory looking restoration, because there are a few upgrades already done to it before I bought it. Thanks for the pictures you did a great job on your 725.

• 3 weeks later...