Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler charging question?

2burning

I have a circa 1978 Kohler K-341 716H - If the headlights seem to be on an AC (they go really dim at idle, off when the engine is not turning but the key is on) circuit, does that mean for sure I only have the 3 amp diode non-regulated battery charging circuit? Or could I actually have a real 15amp regulated charging circuit? I wonder if they came from the factory with a 3 amp charging circuit and an electric lift... I searched the site here it has always answered all my other questions, but I didn't come across a good answer to this one. I need to add more lights so I can see when mowing at night, and want to be careful about discharging the battery too quickly. I suppose LED bulds aren't going to work to well on the AC circuit either. I hate the headlights going dim when I idle down too, makes trying to park in the lawn mower shed harder. Thanks!

Look at your rectifier/regulator. If memory serves the 15A has cooling fins. The 10A doesn't. Don't remember what a 3A looks like. I had a 716-6 once w/ electric lift. It had a 15A system on it. The Kohler K-series repair manual has all the info on this you need. I think you can download it from Kohler but am not sure. The link has been posted on here before. Hope this helps. Brent

I think all regulators have fins, but i know the diode for the 3 amp is very small, and mine was located under the dash, It has small fins on it too.

Thanks, I will go check out under the dash and see what it looks like. It may be several days though.

lol why mow at night ? have a beer instead. the other problem might be the charging system in the engine im having the same problem my alt. meter shoots to minus side if i try to raise or lower implements so if u figure your problem let me know

I have 2 - K341's and a K301 that have rectifiers with no fins. Just a molded block with 2 bolt holes and a 3 blade wiring connector. Brent

This is the manual I think [url]http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2379.pdf[/url]

Brent your fins are inside cooling shroud. I had same problem I tapped off the battery with an inline 15 amp fuse.

I think I have the 3 watt non regulated charging for sure now, with the AC for the lights. I can see a small device I thought before was a self-resetting circuit breaker that is probably the diode. I have a 5 amp buss fuse in one of the wires out of the alternator. 3 wires come out of the Kohler. I looked over the Kohler docs as suggested - it all makes sense now. My ampmeter never really moves that much, I always figured it was broken. Now I realize why that is. I have to mow into the night to get it all done, I work during the day and mow 2 1/2 large 3-4 acre lawns in the evenings. When I get started mowing I don't like to stop until it is done. I will probably just get some really small, low wattage bulbs that point forward and to the side so I can see the edge of the deck and forward a little. That's where I really need to see, not out front where the factory lights are. Thanks all for the help!

Connect the lights directly to the battery with a 10 - 15 amp inline fuse and a switch. Just be sure to let the engine run a few after shutting lights off befor shutting engine off to put a charge back into battery.

Finally got new batteries for the camera. If there are cooling fins on the smaller style in the first pic they are under the molded in cover. That would kinda defeat the purpose. My amp gauge says 10A when charging with this style. The big one with the big fins blows 10A fuses but holds with a 15A fuse. It came off a tractor with electric lift. Brent

Brent take the bolts out of the first rectifier and turn it over and youll see the fins. They are using the breeze under the shroud for cooling.