Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ground Speed?

JoeK

Broadmoor 728 recently purchased,have been tinkering and fixin all those little things that need attention after 30+yrs.This is a bevel gearbox 3spd(duh) and top speed is listed as 3+mph.I'm not sure it's even that "fast" but I may just be spoiled by faster tractors.So;as this was primarily a "tiller"tractor is it possible it was"pulleyed" down for tilling?Is this common?Would a high/low pulley gear it "up"any for speed or just "down" for power.A half mile "dump run" is pretty sluggish at 3mph :( (I WILL be "joining" shortly,budget very tight this Mo)

Joe, The large frame tractors have a top speed in the 6-7 mph range depending on tranny type. This means a Broadmoor is only half fast. LOL Just joking, Broadmoors are very good machines, but are significantly slower than the large frame machines. I have four large frame machines and the hydros are noticeably faster than a 3-speed, even though by spec there is only 1 mph difference.

It could be that it has been slowed down by a larger driven pulley There was I believe an 8" 10" and 12" pulleys availble to slow these down for tilling and snow blowing. The largest pulley being the slowest and most power. Check to see what size the pulley is on your transmission.

I thought the Broadmoors's were small frame tractors? ie, no bevel gear box and not easy to access the pulley on the trans.