Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC/Simp. mower decks

Not all tractors were made with the wide wheels. My 1964 landlord has about a 4" narrower rear wheel base then my 3212H. The rear wheels & tires on the older tractors will not clear the heigth adjustment ass. like the newer tractors with the wider rear wheels. I can with my 3212H drive write on up and over the deck if I choose to but I still use the ramps on the front of the deck, and sometimes the v-blocks depending on the surface to keep the deck from moving as I stated in my last reply.-->jack<--

Jack, I have spacers on the old B12 to move the wheels out. I have never bolted the wheels directly to the hubs, makes it to narrow for my steep lawn. I'd probably roll it over. I also have bigger turf tires on it. Tim

Tim, may I ask where you got your spacers or did you make them your self. I had thought of doing something like that but up until this year I had my 55lb. each wheel weights on my landlord. With them on it was very stable,now with them off you are write the tractor is very tippi as I also have some severe hills and I am not talking about the ones out in the woods write now either. My 3212 is by far more stable with the wider wheels so I thought I might pick up a pair for the landlord. But I really would like to widen the track about a total of 6". I have been waiting for a pair of spacers for running duel wheels is that what your refering to? Jackkk

How about finding a nice SunStar, set the rear wheels outboard and have all the 'hillability' you need? I don't even need wheel weights because I use the optional seat-mounted road-hugging weight.
Fred

Years ago back home in Louisiana my AC dealer told me that the 42"decks are drive-over decks. I found this works as long as the deck is not on pavement were it will just slide. The dealer told me thats why the decks are sloped on the back side. Has anyone else heard this or have done this. Tim

Yes I drive over the deck from behind with the front tires and back off of it. I put wood blocks under the front to help keeping it from rolling forward. Also I took 2 peices of 2x4 and cut a v-hotch in each for the rollers to set into so they are not in contact with the ground. I made 2 short ramps out of flat stock and bent them so that I could at one end of each weld a stud to witch fits into a hole I drilled into the rear of the deck on both sides. I also did the same to the front of the deck so I can use the same ramps to back the tractor off. A freind had a Bohens tractor that had the same similer setup that I had made. Thanks-->jackl<--

Jack, I drive the front wheels over to put it on and the rear over when taking it off. I have no problem with the B12 crawling over it as long as the deck is on the lawn. I lay a couple sticks of firewood in front of the deck to ease the rear wheels down. Tim

Fred is that the high end, dynamically adjustable weight transfer system or the inexpensive non adjustable dead weight?

MS

Fred, Why certainly you may suggest any thing you want to; however, we don't have to listen. Why buy a SunStar when you have perfectly good old AC. I have the 23X12X12, I think, turf tires and have them on 4" spacers. This gives the B12 a nice wide stance and it works great on the hills. Last Sat. I was doing some dozing so I had the narrow bar tires on the B12. Sunday I stuck the mower deck under it but didn't change the wheels. When I was on a side hill I had to sit over on the armrest to hold the upper wheel on the ground. That's what you call manually transferring weight, about 240 pounds.

Fred,

Two questions.

1) How well does the SunStar operate WITHOUT the optional seat-mounted road-hugging weight?

2) Are road-huggers anything like tree-huggers?

Kent

Mr. Olsen, How much weight are we talking about on this "tractor mounted" weight?? I know when I'm on my antique 3112H we're looking at approx. 215lbs.! As always dlc

Kent, Please disregard my e-mail as it's working now! And thank God it is just when I need it the most! Mr. Fred , why don't these guys like "spot" he never did nothin to no one?? As Always me

Yes Mike, that is the adjustable sliding-cheek system, but it's composed of entirely dead weight, and adjustment is not required all the way out to the Kohler's 'oil angle'.
Tim, if you have 23X12.00-12s on spacers on the A-C, it must be wider that it is long! Since 'Spot' is about 1100 pounds with the deck, I use a bit more than a mere 240 pound weight.
Kent, the tractor would operate quite well without the weight, but I haven't yet perfected the remote lawn chair operating system. While I love my big old trees, the only thing that hugs the road around here is the odd 'sail-rabbit'.
Dave, as I pointed out to Tim, it's a bit more than he uses. Perhaps 10% or so. Quite in keeping with a "man's tractor". (Perhaps there's the source of the derision?)
You are all very welcome for the amusement. Consider it gratis.

Thank you Mr. Olsen for the amusement, we all knew you wouldn't let us down! My diesel rabbit's axle rotted off had to junkker

All I want to know is: Fred do you loan your weight out to friends?????? And if so how much per pound? And do I get a discount if I can get you some more jobs? jackk

FWO, 1. What is an odd-sail rabbit, a car? 2. What is "koh oil angle" Please explain for all to hear! dlc

Dave, you should have used the Rabbit's drivetrain to repower a tractor. A nice 50 horse Diesel 720 ought to 'cut it'. Not quite "odd-sail rabbit"; but the odd, as in occasional; and sail-rabbit, as in one which has been thoroughly pounded flat on the road, well dried in the sun, and is then suitable for sailing like a Frisbee. Certainly not solely a mid-western phenomenon? Oil angle just refers to the maximum side-hill angle at which the engine in a man's tractor, such as the Magnum 20 in a SunStar, will maintain oil pressure.
Jack, while my weight system can be rented, the freight costs for shipping it are considerable, let alone the 'Grand Slams' required to properly maintain said weight. The tractor is additional.

Fred, thanks for your response,Whas a matta you don't like my 1.99s anymore? Your up next jack my friend!! cld

Fred which part of your answer is just plain road "KILL? And when did you say breafest was? And Dave I heard Fred was buying the grandslams for everyone. Hey Fred if you can get your weight here I will provide a real tractor for you to use. Its a Sunspot with air conditioning from someone riding side saddle. So who's on first and what's on second and I'm going to third so Fred must be coming. So watch out...->jack<-

In the 60s when I used to commercial mow with a Landlord and 32212H we always drove over the decks with the front wheels. Drive on beside the adjusters and turn to center the deck. To back off we dropped the deck down, put our feet outside the footrests and stood on the deck, pulled up on the steering wheel hard and backed over the deck with the front wheels. They took it for 9 years. We also ran 26x12.00x12 tires with fluid on widened rims.