Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord Starting Issues- HELP!

Tom_Byrne

I'm at the end of my rope on this one:(!! Read all the articles in the forums and still can't figure this out. 1967 Landlord, 10 hp. Has a new voltage regulator and a rebuilt starter/generator. Also a new battery. It will only start when hooked up to a jump box, and it runs great for hours. Shut it down and try to start it without the box and it does nothing- not even a click! Any ideas?

HAVE YOU CHECK FOR VOLTS OR AMP TO MAKE SURE IT'S CHARGING? DID YOU POLARIZE THE REGULAR ? JJ

My guess is A high resistance connection. Make sure all connections are clean. Also check cables for corrosion in side of the cables.

Start looking at the battery connections. Clean the posts and clamps to be sure there is no corrosion. You didn't say if there is a noticeable 'click' when you try the starter, but nothing else happens. That is a good indicator of something wrong with the cables. Polarizing the regulator should not be necessary if you are using a negative ground system, as the regulator is already polarized for that system when it is new. But, you may have the connections on the regulator wired incorrectly. Is the battery charged?? AND, are all grounding cables attached? Should be one from the battery to the frame, and one from the frame to the engine, at least. Where are you connecting the jumpers? If on the battery, I'd check the battery for a dead cell.

Tom first of all you need a voltmeter to check the condition of your tractor battery. If battery voltage is 12+ volts, Maynard's suggestion comes into play. By jump starting with another battery, you take your battery of the equation. When you start the engine with the jumper battery, what does the ammeter do? Also if you have a voltmeter tapped on the wires with the jumper battery you can see the voltage increase if everthing functioning.

Tom, I had a garden tractor battery in my 716H (w/10Hp B/S) and it acted the same way. Replaced that battery with a 51R. No problems since. I run the 51R on both my 716H and 713S. If you think it is the starter cable or solenoid, then take jumper cable and short between positive terminal on battery, and start terminal on S-G. If it turns over good that way, then it is the wiring or solenoid.