Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

driveshaft flange

Simplicity314

Hi everyone...is it necessary to disconnect all four fasteners from the driveshaft to pull the engine? It's a '64 LL. I do not have to remove the whole shaft. How do people keep the shaft from turning when loosening them? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, --Jim

I put a bar between the bolts to brake them loose and only take the 2 out that go into the engine.

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
I put a bar between the bolts to brake them loose and only take the 2 out that go into the engine.
I do the same thing.

quote:
Originally posted by 10HorseMan
quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
I do the same thing.
I do that too. Some people here say you should loosen up the set screw on the flange that attaches the driveshaft to the BGB so as to avoid damage to your input shaft/and bearings when removing or reinstalling the engine and it will help reduce stress on the fiber discs on the driveshaft. There is a hole on the bottom of the frame so you can get an allen wrench in there.

I am able to get a combination wrench on the bolt between the disk and drive shaft and a socket on the nut. I remove the nuts from the bolts connecting the engine to the drive shaft and slide the engine out.