Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Checking hydro fluid level

qtown7116H

What's the correct procedure for checking the hydro fluid level? (Sundstrand) Should the hydro be warm or not? I inherited a 7116h and went to check the hydro fluid, manual says to remove the cap and lift the relief valve. A LOT of fluid came out before it was level with the end of the tube. Was it just really full from the previous owner? He says he NEVER checked it or replaced the filter, that's why I'm checking into it... Thanks for the help or advice!

I believe that the manual says to lift the relief valve first and then remove the cap. If you removed the cap before lifting the relief valve a lot of fluid will flow out of the tube.

You know, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the heads-up. As to the first part of my post, should it be done warm or cold?? Any difference?

I've never had to lift the relief valve to remove the cap. It is necessary to lift the relief valve to add fluid. If the valve is not lifted, you will trap air in the system and the fluid will not go into the reservoir. Lift the valve and the fluid runs right in. Got two Sunstrand hydros, working on getting a third. Love em!

I just want to make sure the thing isn't overfull. When I took the cap off first, without lifting the relief valve, it was level with the tube opening (none flowed out). Then I lifted the relief valve, like the manual said, and the fluid level came up, and overflowed. I let it run out until it was level, with the valve raised. Thoughts were that the previous owner had it overfull.... If you were going out to check the level, that's all, nothing else, what would the procedure be? To raise or not to raise the relief valve!!?? If memory serves, the manual isn't clear if you just want to check the level, not add to it. If you are adding, it definitely says to raise it the entire time you are adding fluid...makes sense.