Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DISASTER

megandky

Brought the 4041 home today after prolonged tune-up, starter etc.. Happily moving wood and dirt around backyard when BAM, a stump catches the left front wheel, the trator lurches, there is a snap and the steering is gone! Inspected steering mechanism with gas tank removed, "U" joint spinning freely on top of steering gear, it has end points in both directions, but no movement of Pitman arm or Ball joint. I'm depressed!

I have an extra gear-box left over from putting in my power steering if your interested. That might be easier than trying to rebuild the one you have.

Good News The Pitman arm is the problem, will have to find a replacement or have this one welded up!

Hey D-17 Dave I tried to PM you 2 times it came back undeliverable. I found a Pitman arm from member MikeFox. i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Matt Pictures soon!