Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Possible A-C 416H resurrection (it's alive!!)

JR

I posted last summer about getting an old 416H going again that's missing a lot of parts. I remember that someone told me that I could put a 18hp B&S twin cylinder that I have sitting around in it. I seem to remember also being told that I would need to use an electric PTO clutch, which I luckily have for this motor. Can anyone confirm if this is correct info? I also remember that there was someone close to me here in Indiana (I believe he was west of Monticello on US24) that said he had a lot of parts for these tractors. If you are still here, please contact me so I can make arrangements to get together with you. Or if anybody else in the area that has some parts for one of these, please contact me. Thanks!

Hey, I have several 300 and 400 series A/C parts. If you need any I would be glad to help out. THe pulley for the front PTO is about 5.5" i think

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping to find parts a bit closer than Canada, but I'll keep you in mind. I fired up the D-17 this afternoon and hooked a chain from the loader bucket to the back of the old girl and drug her out of the weeds and raspberry bushes. It's been a long time since I'd looked it over good. Luckily the deck still looks good and solid, and I thought I was missing all the wheels, but it still has one front one. Also, I found the one rear wheel hub that has the gear machined in, but I will need both(?) rear axle shafts, as well as the other hub. I'll also need the left tie rod, the gas tank, the lift lever, and of course another front wheel as well as the rears. Starting to wonder if it will be worth the effort with all the missing parts! Especially since I have no idea if the pump and rear end are any good. Does anybody know of a way to check it out before I wrap up a bunch of time and money in it?

JR, Here is the club member you are looking for.He should be able to hook you up with any parts needed. User Name: wilm169 Real Name: Levi Souligne Location: Remington, Indiana USA

I'd say its worth it, all those parts should be easy to find. The gas tank might be the harder one to come across though. I've fixed ones up that were missing more parts than that, so i think it's worth it. I like the 300/400's the most anyways.

Thanks Mack! Levi has contacted me and I hope to get together with him sometime next week. Unfortunatly, he has already told me that he doesn't have a gas tank. :-( I figured that would likely be the hardest part to find, then the rear axle parts. I'd still like to figure out some way to check out the drivetrain before going too far with this. I've been thinking about coming up with a way to connect an electric motor to the front of the drive shaft to test everything out, but I figure I will still have to have the axle shaft parts. Is that a correct assumption? Also, I was wondering about putting a hydraulic lift on these tractors. I know they had the optional electric-lift, but I figure those are probably rare as hen's teeth, and I've gotten so used to the hydraulic lifts on my Case and my Farm King. And, can anybody tell me what mods I'll have to do to the tractor to fit the Briggs twin? I was reading in another thread about putting one of these in a newer Simplicity where the guy had to cut down the frame rails and re-drill the motor plate. If so, it's no big deal. Just wondering if I'll need to do the same.

I have a 410S that the 10HP motor has just started acting up, i hate to part it out, but it does have a good gas tank:)

There is a 300/400 series sitting in the junk lot at a dealer in NW Ohio. Probably a stick. No engine as I recall. Think I might have a pic or two. ken

quote:
Originally posted by JR
Thanks Mack! Levi has contacted me and I hope to get together with him sometime next week. Unfortunatly, he has already told me that he doesn't have a gas tank. :-( I figured that would likely be the hardest part to find, then the rear axle parts. I'd still like to figure out some way to check out the drivetrain before going too far with this. I've been thinking about coming up with a way to connect an electric motor to the front of the drive shaft to test everything out, but I figure I will still have to have the axle shaft parts. Is that a correct assumption? Also, I was wondering about putting a hydraulic lift on these tractors. I know they had the optional electric-lift, but I figure those are probably rare as hen's teeth, and I've gotten so used to the hydraulic lifts on my Case and my Farm King. And, can anybody tell me what mods I'll have to do to the tractor to fit the Briggs twin? I was reading in another thread about putting one of these in a newer Simplicity where the guy had to cut down the frame rails and re-drill the motor plate. If so, it's no big deal. Just wondering if I'll need to do the same.
I have a good gas tank, axle parts, electric lifts and just about any other parts you would need for it. Even if you get it going and the bgb or trans is bad, I have those parts too. They're not too hard to come across. Club member Karl_Brandt has put a hydrraulic lift on a vickers he has.

This evening when the sun started going down giving some slight relief from this insufferable heat and humidity, I decided to take another look at the tractor. It looks like at least the BGB is okay. I grabbed the front end of the driveshaft and turned it back and forth a bit. It turned smoothly in both directions with no noticable play, so at least I should be okay there. I also noticed that the rearend has a keyed shaft sticking out the right side, so maybe I can test the drivetrain after all. I just need to figure out a way to connect an electric motor to the shaft to feed some power into it. Looks like the control lever is froze up, so I'll need to get it freed up first tho. I'm gonna try to get with Levi sometime this week and see what parts I can get from him first. Then I'll let you know what's left to get. I already know that he doesn't have the tank. I also got out the motor today and started gathering together all the parts for it. The Crapsman tractor that it came from ran the trans from a pulley bolted on the flywheel. It has the aluminum "fan" piece bolted to the flywheel, then an adapter bolted on to that with two bolts, with the pulley bolted to it with four bolts. Looks like I should be able to bolt the flex disc right to the fan. I know on my old Snapper, it used the same driveshaft/flex disc system, and it bolted the disc to the fan with a couple of metal spacers. Did these tractors use the spacers too? If so, I'll need to find a couple of those as well. If somebody could tell me how long they are, I can probably turn some out on my lathe.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, it lives! This afternoon I put together an exhaust, and this evening I got the driveshaft put back together. I rigged a temporary gas tank and fired it up, and with a jack under the back of the tractor, I worked the hydro lever forward and back and the wheels turned both directions like they should. So I looks like maybe my worries about the pump were for nothing. I'll know more tomorrow when I can get it out of the barn and drive it around a bit. Assuming it isn't raining again! I haven't noticed any vibration problems from the driveshaft. I've been taking digital pics as I went along. I know I can't post 'em here, but maybe it'll help the next person who wants to do this. I have to say a big thanks to Levi for giving me a good deal on the parts I needed to put this tractor back together. And thank's to JJ and Maxtorman for the info they provided. I'd still like to put either a hydro or electric lift on it. I like to get on and off my tractors from the left, and with the deck lift lever all the way back, that's just about impossible on this thing! But so far that's my only issue with the design of the tractor. Next up is new pulleys for the mule drive, and rebuilding the deck. (And I do mean rebuild!!) It turns out it's in much worse shape than I originally thought. :(

JR, I think Levi will be able to help you. Here is a picture of one of his machines. It is a 416H that has a 20 Hp engine in it.

quote:
Originally posted by JR
Yes, it lives! This afternoon I put together an exhaust, and this evening I got the driveshaft put back together. I rigged a temporary gas tank and fired it up, and with a jack under the back of the tractor, I worked the hydro lever forward and back and the wheels turned both directions like they should. So I looks like maybe my worries about the pump were for nothing. I'll know more tomorrow when I can get it out of the barn and drive it around a bit. Assuming it isn't raining again! I haven't noticed any vibration problems from the driveshaft. I've been taking digital pics as I went along. I know I can't post 'em here, but maybe it'll help the next person who wants to do this. I have to say a big thanks to Levi for giving me a good deal on the parts I needed to put this tractor back together. And thank's to JJ and Maxtorman for the info they provided. I'd still like to put either a hydro or electric lift on it. I like to get on and off my tractors from the left, and with the deck lift lever all the way back, that's just about impossible on this thing! But so far that's my only issue with the design of the tractor. Next up is new pulleys for the mule drive, and rebuilding the deck. (And I do mean rebuild!!) It turns out it's in much worse shape than I originally thought. :(
I get on the 300/400's from eitehr side. WHen I first tried the deck on them, my foot got caught on the lift lever on the deck, and I almost fell over. Since then, I have gotten used to it:)

Well, JR, it looks like you are well on your way to having a nice tractor that you can say you saved from the junk man!! A really great feeling. ALL that is left is for you to join this club and be called a MEMBER. Ten bucks a year is all it cost and you can post pictures. Now that is why I brought this membership thing up. I am a visual person and NEED those pics!!! Dan

Well, I got the tractor out this afternoon and drove it a bit. Don't want to run it too much with the wonky left rear hub it has right now. I had to add about a quart of Dexron to the reservoir to get it to pull itself. It really hauls in full forward, especially with full throttle! But I noticed that reverse is really slooowwww Actually, it only seems to have the one speed in reverse. Is this normal for these tractors? My old Sovereign wasn't like that, but it was a Sundstrand. I don't think the pump is weak, as it will pull itself backwards up a hill with no issues. Is there some adjustment for this that I don't know about? I did adjust the linkage for neutral, and it isn't dead-nut, but it is pretty close.

OK JR LETS GET THAT $10.00 MEMBERSHIP IN SO WE CAN SEE SOME PICTURES AND SEE WHAT YOU HAVE CREATED. JJ