Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what size belt for 48" deck

The tractor is a A/C 716H with a 48" deck (part number 1690272). Having recently acquired this wonderful machine, I was replacing the center spindle and pulley assembly and decided that the inner drive belt must be too small as the tensioner is maxed out. Please help.

According to the belt cross reference on this website (link provided below), the arbor or spindle belt for a 1690272 deck is 1657044 and is 93.1" long. A genuine factory belt should be used rather than an aftermarket automotive belt. Just rebuilt a similar deck and found the 2 bushings in the tensioner pulley arm were frozen with rust which prevented full movement. [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/belts/belts_(pg5).htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/belts/belts_(pg5).htm[/a]

Dutch is right about buying a factory belt because the aftermarket belts don't last. I tryed that earlier this year and I didn't even get one cut out of the belt.

I use belts from the Ace Hardware store on my deck and they last just as good as OEM but cost about half as much. I had a simplicity belt last only one mowing. The tractor drive belt however must be OEM.