Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

old gas help

toad270

I just bought a B-110 and the old gas has turned into a varnish sludge in the gas tank what can I use to remove this so I can try to get running? I already have the caburator off for cleaning.

I have heard of people putting nut, bolts and even chain in them to clean them up. The last tractor I restored I took it to a radiator shop and had it cleaned out.

I've been using a product called B-12 Carb cleaner,made by Berryman's chemtool,you can get it at Wal mart and Auto zone,real cheap and works great.contains toluene so it will damage paint,rinse the tank out with a half a can and then add 1 oz. of it to a gallon of gas to really clean the carb while you run it.

Any good Spray carb cleaner will remove the varnish sludge. If you have any lacquer thinner that will clean it also. To clean the rust out put some sand, sand blast material, small nuts or washers in it and strap it to a rear tire of one of your tractors with bungee cords and mow the lawn when finished it will be clean.

Definately remove the carb, disassemble and clean. If it turned to varnish in the tank, it also turned in the carb. Those tiny holes in the brass parts are plugged up for sure.