Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3 speed B110

TimJr

Hi all, how odd are Allis B110 tractors with a straight 3 speed trans - no variator? Were they just the early production tractors that didn't have a variator? I thought that all the square hooded Landlord/B series were either a variable or hydro. The one I saw is a one owner tractor in very nice original condition. Seems like I have heard or read about other non-variable machines like this, but was just curious about it. Thanks, Tim

The B-110s were all short-wheelbase, with standard 3-speeds. Some had the optional high-low pulleys. Early models were push-button start, while later ones were key start. The B-210s were all long-wheelbase with variable speeds and key start. All square hood 12-HP machines were long wheelbase, and either variable or Vickers hydros (HBs)...

I have one of those AC B-110 tractors, with three speed trans. Mine is the early one with push button start.

Karl [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url]

Thanks, is it basically that the early B110's were a rebodied 10hp Landlord? It seems like I had read about that difference here now that I think about it. Was the difference in length the trans mounting plates? Most of the B tractors around here were the 12hp versions, so all I see are variators and hydros. Thanks, Tim

quote:
Originally posted by TimJr
Thanks, is it basically that the early B110's were a rebodied 10hp Landlord?
There were matching models in both the large-frame Simplicity and Allis line during this whole period after Allis bought them, but before the FTC investigation, when Allis had to build the different 300/400 series... B-110 = Simplicity 2110 (3-speed only, with high-low option) B-112 = Simplicity 3012 and 3112 (both hydro & variable versions -- though only Simplicity hydro was 3112H as far as I know, i.e. the was no 3012H) B-210 = Simplicity 3210V (variable speed only) B-212 = Simplicity 3212 (both hydro and variable versions) The hydros and variable tranmissions required 4" longer transmission mounting plates on the sides of the bevel gear box, so they have a 4" longer wheelbase. That 4" longer wheelbase also allowed the use of 48" mower decks, which won't fit under the short wheelbase tractors. More trivia -- as far as I know all 3012s had a flat dash and push-button start, and corresponded to the early B-112s with a flat dash. The 3112s had an inset key and key start, corresponding to the late B-112s with the same features. This distinction isn't possible on the 2110s, since they didn't change the model number with those changes, and you have the same variations there that you do with the Allis counterparts.