Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Found a 700 (update w/pics)

Chris727

I looked at a 700 wonderboy tonight. I am not very familiar with this model. The BGB is good, drivetrain looks ok. Sheetmetal is fair but the grill screen is gone and was replaced with a JD110 grill screen. The engine is not original. Its a mid 70's model briggs according to the blower cover, motor is a 20000 series so I assume its about an 8hp by the 20 ci. displacement, looks small within the frame but does appear to be cast iron, and the original starter generator was swapped to this motor. Engine condition is unknown. This tractor has been sitting at least several months if not several years, paint is faded, Original seat is present but needs to be covered. As for the hood emblems only one remains. There is no rear lift on this machine. The only attachment is a 42" bolt together deck, condition unknown. The guy wants $100 for it. Should I get it? Is there something I should look for such as the bent or straight shifter? Is this more of a collector model? I kind of have too many projects but figured somewhere down the road I'd want one of these. Thanks. 7/03/05 Got the tractor last night, here are a few pics, will post more in show and tell.

It has the short steering column and the straight shifter. The serial number is 7548. Will try to get it running today.

That's about what I paid for a 725 a few years back with the 3-piece deck and 3-belt blower. It also had the 20 ci 8hp replacement engine that smoked a LOT. The 20ci is hard to find parts for because they were only in production for a short time but finding something to replace it with shouldn't be much of a problem. I'm sure that a 700 is more collectable than the 725. Those decks are really tough, might need bearings but otherwise probably OK. If it were me, I'd find it hard to pass up.

Any tractor that is mostly complete is worth $100 I wouls try to lower the price a bit but I would get it. Elon

I'd have to chime in with Elon and Ray, any complete tractor's worth at least $100 bucks. I paid almost that for a BGB on eBay, and then had to replace the two gears inside. I recently passed up an early Simplicity with a deck, Vickers hydro and power lift at a local swap meet a few months back for $100. The guy came down to $80, (without me asking!), but as luck would have it I found it at the end of the show. Money gone and pickup loaded. Getting one of these machines for $100 sounds good to me. Brian

Crazy lookng muffler. But a decent tractor for a bill. Brian, I think I would have traded something back off the truck for a deal like that.

Hey guys, I got it running! The guy I got it from had said there was no spark. I converted it to an automotive style coil and it started right up. Gas runs right out the carb though, so its going to have to come apart. All in all not a bad deal.