Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Double-hinged seat decks

Kent

Some of these other questions got me to thinking... does anyone have a "square-hood" tractor that has a double-hinged seat deck and key start? All I've ever noticed were on push-button start tractors... Did the change away from double-hinged seat decks correspond with the change to key-start ignition? My guess it that it did, but I'm not sure...

Kent, i think that you are right. I had a 3012 that had the double hinged seat deck and push button start.

I've never had a double hinged deck with a keyswitch through here. Always been a push button.

The double-hinged seat deck would allow you to raise the seat deck to access the tranny, etc., while you had an implement on the rear, raised to its highest position. The next year, they redesigned the uprights on the rear, and moved the hinges on the seat deck back, giving you about the same result, but not quite.... The double-hinged ones work, but they take two hands to operate, at least in my experience...

I believe you are correct also. 3012 is double hinged and push button, 3212 single hinge and key start. I thought the reason they moved the hinge back and got rid of the double hinge was to fit the hydro cooler on top the Vickers??.

quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
I thought the reason they moved the hinge back and got rid of the double hinge was to fit the hydro cooler on top the Vickers??.
That certainly could be the case, but they used them on variables and 3-speeds also.

Kent, my early B110 w/push button start has the double hinged seat deck, and my late style with key start has the newer style seat deck, so I would think thats when they changed. The parts manual may shed some light on this, as it may note at what serial #'s these parts changed.

I have a 2110 3spd push button start that has the double hinge that the 3112 key start does not.