Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs starter ??

MPH

Anyone have a clue if a starter like this on a '71 Briggs can also be an Alternator? Decal on the belt gaurd says 'Alternator equipped". I'm guessin it must be a behind the flywheel alternator, that doesn't charge.

thanks for any shared knowledge

MARTY that look like a prestolite starter just the red wire attacted to it. the recifier is it just mounted on it not wired to it. never seen a recifier like that on a B&S. JJ

I'd agree with JJ. Certainly looks like a Prestolite to me too. That's probably what you'll find if you clean the paint off that tag. The Prestolite starter motor is also used on most older snow plow hydraulic pumps on pickups. I've got one on the old Meyer pump on my 66 IH. I've never seen one on a Briggs engine tho. Guess I need to look back thru my old B&S manual and see what I can find. I'm sure it's strictly a starter, and not a part of the charging system. The regulator/rectifier looks like the one used on the older large Tecumseh motors. Kohler also uses on similar to that on the 15 amp charging system. BTW, what tractor is that? From the grill it kinda looks like my old MTD Farm King. It uses the old cast-iron 16hp horizontal Briggs. Mine has the newer-style permanent magnet starter and alt, tho the older models had the S/G system.

Greg, model type code 320427 0147-01 7105201 JJ, not sure where the wires off the rectifier go, anything that indebt will have to wait til next winter, AFTER the B-112 gets some TLC, Kirks tranny gets into the 3314 and the wards squire is running

That should be a 10 amp, fuse type alternator. The lead on the middle terminal of the regulator should be the charging lead. It should split out of the cable and have an inline 15 amp fuse. Here's the Parts Manual: http://www.odref.com/briggsandstratton/model-32/320400-ms5868-1079.pdf

Well, I looked back thru a couple of my old repair manuals, and the only thing I see that is like that is an Autolite starter that is belt-driven. They apparently used the under-flywheel alt with this syatem. The odd part about it is that the drive pulley on the starter has an overrunning clutch that looks very much like the ones on the newer permanent magnet-style starters. The belt used looks like it's a rather thin cross-section, and has a tensioner pulley inside the belt housing. The belt also looks to be pretty much fully-enclosed, unlike the with S/G. My guess would be that these were only used for a short time as a "transition" between the starter/generator and the permanent magnet starters still used today. I'd still be interested to know what brand tractor that is.

it's a '71 MTD 14hundred Jr. Hydrostatic drive and hydro lift. posted some pic of it in show and tell post

The Farm King I have is the direct descendant of the 1400. The main difference is the Farm King has the 16hp motor. It also has the hydro trans with 2spd, hydraulic lift, and has shaft drive PTO to the mower deck. Mine has the snowblower as well. From looking at your pictures it appears that your tractor also had the snowblower at some point, as the tubular "arm" sticking out at an angle on the left side of the tractor is for the controls for the blower, and the nut and square washer sticking out of the grill is to hold the belt guide for the blower belt in place. The blower drives off a pulley on the front of the motor. I wish mine had that tiller that you have! If that hydro is like mine, it has a spin-on oil filter underneath. You might try changing the oil and filter first thing and see what happens.

The starter 390115 is NLA. Also after looking at the parts breakdown, the whole make up was designed around that paticular starter. There is nothing in my service books either. I guess I would get the white paint off the ID tag to see what you have.

Well, it became a next winters project last night, Changed the tranny fluild and filter, adjusted the hydro drive lever and its still real weak on go power. Fear the hydro got too hot sometime as the fan is missing to cool it. JR, you happen to know who built the pump unit? I Know the transaxle is Peerless. Thanks for the input on the snowblower part. was wondering what that was for. Thanks for the starter parts manuals Bob. Starter works ok, just no battery charge.

I believe that would be an Eaton Model 11, the big brother to the Model 7 that runs my Vanguard. The hydraulic lift runs off the charge pump. I got my Farm King from the original owner, and he kept all the original paperwork for it which I now have. I've got books on the tractor, 42" deck, the thrower, as well as the MTD attachment catalogue which shows all the attachments and accesories available, and the models they fit. He did have the tiller (and manual) as well, but he got rid of it several years ago. Most all the info I have will also be applicable to your 1400, except for the new "quick-release" deck mounting system. If you need any part #'s or diagrams, let me know and I'll be happy to make copies of whatever you need. We also happen to have an old guy here in town who knows these older MTD's like the back of his hand. If you've got a question I can't answer, I'm sure he'll know!

Thanks JR. decidd to run the site one more time before I pack outta here til next Sunday. the owners manual I have calls the tranny a 'Marshallmatic Model 10. Here a pic I snapped of it before I put the metal back on. Look like yours? only #'s I could find on it are 118682 128 CW that 8 could be a B. Found these right below the driveshaft. well actually, after looking at the pic they were on the flat spo0t behind that front hose

May have been Marshallmatic at some point in time, but that's an Eaton for sure. That cast iron part in between the input shaft and the main aluminum body is the charge pump. That's the part that runs the hydraulic lift. If you go to Eaton's web site, you can order (free) a manual on the pump. I did that for the Model 7 in my Vanguard (Sunrunner). According to my Small Tractor Service Manual, your tractor is probably a model 141-990. If so, the pump is an Eaton Model 10. It holds 10 pints of 20wt oil of at least SE grade (diff is the reservoir). And yes, there is supposed to be a fan on the shaft just ahead of the charge pump. HTH

One other thing, the "CW" you found on the pump likely means that it was originally set from the factory for "Clock-Wise" rotation. The Eaton pumps are easily reversable for different applications and mountings. My Vanguard was missing the pump when I got it. I put a pump on that had unknown history. It worked, but the control lever worked backward! After doing a bit of research, I learned that if you dissasemble the pump, you have to mark the orientation of the housing parts, in particular the way the center ring is rotated. I pulled the pump, rotated the ring 180 degrees, and reassembled. Then my control lever worked correctly. My guess was that the pump I used came from a transaxle-drive tractor, while the Vanguard/Sunrunner is chain-drive directly to the axle, so the rotation is reversed. Live and learn!