Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs condenser

RedbarnRick

I have owned my soveriegn for 30 years and I have had this problem with condensers whenever the tractor gets wet( by rain or just washing off the dirt)After getting moisture in the points area, there is no spark. I usually find that inside the cover is dry and yet the condenser is usually at fault.( My guess is that steam from a hot exhuast or a drenching rain will ground it out somehow} I have six or seven condensers on hand and I can usually find one that will work and then I get spark. My long winded question is what causes the condenser to go bad, and why does it seem that after some time I can use it again, and finally is there a way to test the condensers, and is there some way to prevent the condensers from going bad?

I don`t know how to test the condensor. But I had the same problems with moisture as you described. Usually while blowing snow the moisture would get into the points cover and short them out. I have been using this electronic ignition module for 3 years or so now and haven`t had any problems. I would never go back to points and condensor set up again.

Thanks for the reply Ray, where did this module come from and is it powerful enough for a 16 hp? I still would like to know about the condensers as they have been in there for 30+ years and only occaisionally need to be replaced.

Check this auction out. I just bought one myself you couldn`t beat this deal with a stick http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50371&item=3984193890&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW .