Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Races

Jovee

Finally went to see some tractor racing last weekend. I had no idea the ran them this close to me. It was always something you heard about elsewhere or saw on a sports channel but this track is about an hour north of Pittsburgh in Butler Pa. They race quads, karts and 3 classes of tractors. The first pic is the super mods. Pretty much anything goes but theres a 12.5 hp limit

These are some of the stock class however the only thing stock is the engines which also have a 12.5 cap on power. Quite a bit of alterations involved

Didnt see any quality machines hacked up. Most were box store chassis running the good old bulletproof 3spds. This one won the feature in stock

Great fun to watch and maybe better to do. Cant seem to get past the wifes glare... ;) yet -Joe

You won't see any 'good' machines out there on the track, they're just simply built too heavy to be competitive in a race. Me and one of my buddies are talking about building a racing mower out of a MTD he got. Just have to do a pulley swap and eliminate the muffler.

That's something I have wanted to do for a long time. I had old JD rear engine rider, that I put a 12hp in and did some pulley work on it. But its no longer around, popped a wheelie and it stayed up on the rear stand, hit a tree and rolled over on me. side walks, trees and power can hurt! plus the nabors watching, put and end to my racing days! John

I just posted a pic of my Dynamark in your other post. I originally made it to race with but the local alub has very strict rules, I'm not sure mine would pass inspection. Right now it's just for kicks. Elon

There werent any rear riders out there which was a surprise. They seem to like the Case style rearends. Most have a solid axle with the gear welded on. The rules were a bit tough for me too plus I dont have a welder yet. I have an old MTD with a 7spd that would be a candidate and one with a 5spd. They use 5" pulleys on the engine and 3" on the rear. The supermods corner like sprint cars. Having a foot operated throttle is kinda cool too - Joe

Anybody else have trouble getting replies posted? I was surprised to see this finally go thru. Ive only been trying since tuesday evening and been getting -"website not responding" - -Joe

• 2 weeks later...
My brother wants to do lawn mower racing. He came home with an Ariens rear engine rider. Don't think it would work because it is a disc drive type.