Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lug bolts?

JR

I'm sooo close to having the 416 back on four wheels again. But I have no rear wheel lug bolts! What size are they? My guess is 7/16" fine thread (UNF). And where can I get them besides the (non-existant) local dealer? Has anybody been able to find them at any of the chain autoparts stores?

I've never tried to buy any, but have you considered taking advantage of this opportunity to put studs and lug nuts on it? It's much easier mounting wheels to studs, than using lug bolts....

Kent is right on this one. Get 7/16 fine hardend all thd. and jam nuts. Cut the all thd. 2" long and thd them in so the jam nut goes on the back side of the flange. Round and deburr the other end so the new nuts go on easy. Draw the jam nuts good and tight so fi you use a impact wrench they don't come loose. This makes changing tires a breeze.

I have piles of them you did not say you needed them if come over early enough I can barrow the hub puller and get the tyrod for you, [bring your check book this time] :D:):D

I usually go to the hardware store and get 7/16 UNF bolts and put them thru from the rear of the wheel flange. I then use 60s or 70s Chevy lug nuts. I like the chrome acorn style. I get them at a local speed shop.

Well, I just got back from town. Couldn't find any 7/16" UNF all-thread, hardened or otherwise. So I did as Rod mentioned and got some 7/16" UNF 1 1/2" long full-thread grade 5 bolts, and I'll put them in from the back with some green Loctite. At least on the right side. Left hub is just a temporary. However I couldn't find anyplace open that had 7/16" UNF lugnuts, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow and hit NAPA or one of the tire shops. Autozone and Advance were useless. And the looks on the faces of those counterguys after they ask "What vehicle?", and I said for my garden tractor. Like "How dare you make me actually go look for a part instead of just checking the computer?!?!".

JR, Tell the auto parts store 69 Nova, or 73 Chevelle, 63 Impala, or something like that. Older Chevy cars used the 7/16 RH lug nuts. Make sure you get Right Hand threads. Some of the older Chrysler autos used a Left Hand 7/16 lug nut on one side of the vehicle, I think it was the passenger side. Most of the Fords used a 1/2 inch UNF lug nut. 60s and 70s Chevy passenger cars are the ones. I buy mine at speed shops and tire shops around here. The ones I deal with around here have them in large quantities. You can buy them at places like Pep Boys, but you pay premium prices when you buy them in the 4-packs. You will have to buy 12 lug nuts to get 10, and they aren't cheap. Chrome lug nuts sure look good on these machines. Right now, the only one that I have studs and chrome lugs on, is my 61 Wards. [img]/club2/attach/HubbardRA/Lugs.jpg[/img] Not a very good picture, but I hope you can tell how the chrome lug nuts will look.

I get 7/16-20 lugnuts at AutoZone. $2-3 for a box of 10. The bolts I get from McMaster-Carr. Fairly reasonable for a box of 25 if you get enough other stuff to meet their minimum purchase requirement.
  • Like 1

Always try good ole ACE hardware. They have a selction of nuts, bolt, studs, bushings, bearings and etc that you just never see anywhere else. Usually can also order, have delivered in under a week if not on hand. Dan PS: No I don't work there, but did at one time.

While at the parts store getting 7/16 lug nuts why not get the pull in wheel studs at the same time. No locking nuts or locktight needed.

Well, I went back to the same parts store (Advance Auto) and asked for lug nuts for a 70 Nova. The same guy that told me a couple of days ago that they didn't have any 7/16" lug nuts looked it up on the computer, walked into the back and got me some 7/16" lug nuts! Funny how that happened! I guess the lug nut fairy must have heard I was looking for these and magically put some in the bin while they weren't looking. I thought about pointing out the irony of the situation to this "counter" guy, but decided it wasn't worth the effort......

My prestige has studs and lug nuts on it, so I would think that they would be available thru a Simplicity dealer as well.

Looks like you may have 2 dealers in logansport. SIGMAN'S SALES & SERVICE INC. 1031 E. MAIN STREET LOGANSPORT, IN 46947 (574) 732-1001 Brands: AGCO Lawn & Garden Equipment COUNTRY SALES & SERVICE 2218 E COUNTY ROAD 650 N LOGANSPORT, IN 46947 (574) 753-3133 Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment

SIGMANS lost there simplicity account they went grass hopper, at least the store in Goodland did.

The Sigmans here is pretty much the same. I see new Grasshoppers there, but I can't remember the last time I saw a new Allis mower on the lot. They don't have much in the way of parts anymore either. And as far as Country Sales, I heard a while back that they weren't a Simplicity dealer anymore. Just as well, as they didn't carry much in parts either, and what they did carry they were way high on price. I needed a belt for the Vanguard last year. Went there to see about getting one, and was told they would have to order it and it would be $40. Jack's had the same belt (OE) for $20. I figured if I was going to have to order it anyway, I might as well get it from Jack's and save myself some bucks.