Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

home made deck?

ehertzfeld

Ive been toying with the idea of make a rear brush hog deck. Anyone ever attempt to make there own deck? What thickness of sheet metal would you sugest. It's going to be off the back of my 64LL so I don't want it too heavy, but want it to hold up to some abuse. I'm going to use gator blades that I got, and am thinking of useing stock spindles. Any suggestions? Elon

The original bolt-together B-1 & 700 decks were 10 or 11 gage (0.125"). Would be heavy but last forever.

Why not just use a deck, and just make brackets and belt system ? I have a rotted 42" LL deck, if you want it, just come and get it.

Eric, I did think of that, I would have to close up the side dischange and open the rear. All the rear decks are rear discharge. I also have a junk 42 deck, but I was thinking it was to narrow. I'll have to hold it up and see. Elon

Elon, the width of your tractor shouldn't be more than about 33 or 34 inches. A 42 deck should work fine.

Every time i think of a man made deck if come across a free (good deck). Just finished my second pullbehind mower, its a 46" deck that was built for mounting on a ATV. Im wating for some grass to mow to see how it cuts, so darn dry here.Its a rear discarge and I may cut some of the front up on the deck like a bush hog. To get hight grass in to the blades better. But if its cut good as a finish mower i dont think ill mes with it much more. A coat of paint and it ready to be put to work. I hope to get some pic posted soon.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Elon, the width of your tractor shouldn't be more than about 33 or 34 inches. A 42 deck should work fine.
Rod when I say narrow, I meant front to back, not side to side. I think I want it longer than the width, like a accual brush hog deck. Elon

Thinking about it today, I think I couldn't use a deck, I'm going to use a tiller pto to power it so I would need the drive pulley on the deck, offset from center. So building one is my only option, no? Elon

Why mount it on the rear? Why not on the front, so you can see it, and then you'd be driving the tractor on mowed ground? There's good reasons why the brushcutters were mounted out front. Just curious....

Cause I'm already thinking of a front mounted finish mower! :) I have a round deck from a Toro that would make a nice front mower. Just havent started playing yet. Elon

Kind of thinking with Kent on that one. The best brush cutters IMO were the old Gravely Model L's with the 30" single brush blade. Saw them do work that was unbelievable for a six to eight hp machine. Or... fabricate one front or back to act like a flail mower--using bits and pieces of a snowthrower or tiller as the case may be. The one that simplicity and allis had for the front looked mighty mean...............

I like that idea of using a snowblower and making a flail mower out of it. cut the grass and blow it away, somewhat like the green chopper we used on farm. Would leave a nice surface to drive on. Think it would take more power than blowing snow? would it be like heavy wet snow?. Again I will seriously think about making one my self.

All brush hogs I ever saw had only 1 heavy duty blade,with swing away blade tips for safety and a heavier duty gearbox arbor to drive them espec. if youre gonna be cuttin brush trees/imo