Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repowered 725

midnightpumpkin

I have a newly acquired 725 which has been re-powered with a Briggs 200401-0019-0 Code 6808301 sn B168496 I have not been able to get spark. If I pulse the wire going to the points with a 9v battery I get spark, indicating that the coil and coil wire is ok. What is the second wire coming from the engine housing? How can I check out the magneto without pulling the housing? I know I can convert to an external coil, but I would prefer to get it running with the original setup if possible. Thanks for your replies.

Hi John, Welcome to the club! I had a similar problem last week and made this post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50584 Give it a shot. I think the 2nd wire would go to a kill switch - I get a little mixed up going between a model 19 & the 20. The ignition system is very different from one to the other. John

Here is a link to a Fluke website that does a pretty good job of explaining magneto ignitions for any small engine. Hope some of you find it usefull. www.fluke.com/Application_Notes/ElectricalPower/B0271b_u.pdf

First of all, clean the points with sandpaper, then slide a matchbood cover through them to remove any grit and buff them. Next set the gap to .020. If this doesn't help, then remove the condenser wire and see if you can get any spark. It won't be a uniform spark every time it turns over without a condenser, but it will spark. This will show if the condenser is shorted. Also, pull the shroud and check for rust buildup on the flywheel magnets. This can short to the magneto and prevent sparking.