Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
swolf

23 D carb

swolf
After a week of getting everything ready I tried to start my Landloard for the first time tonight. Engine turned over but didn't fire. Carb started spitting gas out of the air intake (air filter and cap were removed)and then leaked from the joint where the carb meets the air intake down tube. Could the choke be causing the back flow and spitting problem? Is there such things as carb rebuild kits with gaskets and such? Who would sell them?

D-17_Dave
You'll need to stop the leaks between the carb. and the elbows. However,it sounds as if you may have an intake valve sticking open, valve seat leaking , or someone has been inside the engine and have the camshaft off time. These are just guese's of course and futher diagnosis needs to be done before pointing the finger at one thing or another. It shouldn't push air back out the carb. and the carb. can't be the reason this is happening. The carb. may need work before everything's finished and on our frount page is a list of sight sponsers. Most any of these can help you with any parts you may need.

jlasater
I'd think a quickie compression test would tell you if the valves were a problem. I don't know what the engine in your tractor uses for keying the flywheel to the crankshaft, but I've had a partially sheared flywheel key cause an engine to run like it had a very lumpy camshaft (backfiring and being generally disagreeable).

ehertzfeld
sounds like carb to me. I would take it off and tear it down. Could be a sunk float? It sounds like it's getting way too much gas. I have to belive most of the people here have at leaset one tractor that leaks gas out of the carb. lol Elon

ehertzfeld
Now that I think about it, it couldn't be a sunk float, that would give you no fuel. But if the float is aet too high, that would give you to much fuel. Elon

MrSteele
sounds more like a stuck float. If the engine has set up for a while, the needle may be sitting in sludge in either open or closed position. I'd also tend to agree with a stuck intake valve. Has the engine been sitting idle for a while?

HubbardRA
I have also had engines that sat for a while with a valve open, and the sludge on the valve stem hardened preventing the valve from closing. An open intake valve could cause fuel to blow out of the carb.

Simplicity314
First, deal with the obvious. If gas is blowing by all these gaskets, so is air. W/o the vacuum effect, gas won't get to the chamber. Rebuild carb and adjust float as suggested. Then check for spark next. If there is no spark, track it down. Could be bad plug, ignition switch, condensor or wrong points gap.