Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4212 Hydrostatic Issues/ Questions

cmonroe

Hello Folks, First post here. I have a 4212 Hydrostatic. I was lucky enough to inherit this from a family member. I've had about 5 years, and all has worked well on the unit. This year however, some things have arisen. The deck belt recently let go. Thank goodness I have a simplicity dealer about 15 minutes away. Wonderful people too. Any way, I purchased the appropriate belt, and I felt the belt installation went fairly well. I started the tractor, engaged the mower (lever on left hand side on this model) and everything was working well. I cut the grass for approximately 20 minutes. I notice, that when I disengaged the mower (pulling the lever up) that I could see grass, etc. still blowing around under the mower deck. I then leaned over and verified that the spindles were still spinning. I shutdown the tractor, and engaged and disengaged the mower lever (down to engage). The first thing I noticed was that the 2 pieces of cylinder stock that keep the belt from coming off the pulley when the deck is disengaged are not moving whether the lever is up or down. This didn't used to be the case. Because of this, it appears as though the belt was rubbing against those bars. The system underneath looks fairly straight forward. When the mower is engaged, it looks as though that central arm is supposed to move the arms away from the pulley. But it's not. I'm now thinking that I did something during installation. I did remove the tension wheel on the central arm so I could put the belt into place. Perhaps when I replaced it something came out of adjustment? Thanks for any thoughts you can provide.

• 2 weeks later...
I went to the publication section to download the do-it-yourself manual for the 4200 series lawn tractor. This manual gives good illustrated instructions on how to replace belts and perform other maintenance on the 4212H. If you have not read it, you could use it to ensure your routed the belts correctly and will give you some trouble shooting options. The link for the manual is below. If the link does not work you can go to the commonly asked questions forum for information on how to download the manual. Hope this helps. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3286_00_LT_A.pdf