Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Guru Help 3415S

Gtj811

My 1972 3415S tractor with original engine has begun acting funny once it runs for a while. It starts up fine and will accelerate and run well for 15 minutes or so. It then hesitates and wants to stall as if the choke is closed. It will idle really low and not accelerate. If I shut it off and wait a while it starts and runs fine and then does it again? Any clues? Thanks for the help

Had the same problem with my 7016.Stopped at the parts store on the way home from work one night and picked up an aftermarket coil and points and condensor.After a lot of aggravation and several Cold Buds,she now has Briggs points and condensor and a Kohler coil.

Thanks all. What should the valve clearance be? I'll check the coil if I can find it. Don't recall the engine having a coil like I'd find on my car. Where should I find the coil? GJ

The coil on a Briggs is under the flywheel shroud. May very well be a condensor. I was just stating what the problem was when I had a simular situation.

I'll have to stop off at the store and get more of the Cold Buds to begin my investigation. Had replaced the condensor and point last year. Might be time for another. How do I adjust the valves? Do I need to get new ones or are they adjustable like the rockers on a car? GJ

I am not totally sure on this engine. Some are adjustable, but others can only be adjusted with a file. The valve problem occurs with time. The head of the valve eventually beats itself deeper into the seat and thus reduces the clearance. Access to the valves is by removal of a plate on the side of the crankcase the is located behind the carb on this engine. It should be about 2 1/2 inches long and about an inch wide, with two screws holding it on. It is likely that the PCV hose attaches directly to this cover plate on your engine. When you remove it, you will also be removing the PCV valve assembly. The valves and cam followers should be visible once this plate assembly has been removed. Check the clearances with a feeler gage with the engine cold. If there is no adjuster, then place a file between the valve stem and the follower and remove enough material to give the correct clearance. The usual cause of the engine cut-off is an exhaust valve that is too tight. It gets longer as it gets hotter and will eventually stop sealing, causing the engine to quit, or run very badly. Takes only a short time for it to cool enough to re-start.