Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stuck Differential - Help? - - Fixed !

John_RI

Just got recent acquisition (3012) running and it seems the rear end is locked, no differential. I checked the right side hub screws and they are loose. The machine pushes and does not want to turn. Is the differential locked? And if so, what can I do to correct it?

You will need to take the diff apart and determine if the spacer washers are in the right place. If there is not enough of them between the gear that drives the left axle and the gear on the right hub, then the left side gear will be too far into the spider gears and will engage both sets. This will lock the diff. I used this technique when tractor pulling to produce a locked diff. There should only be one thin washer behind the left side drive gear. All the others should be between this gear and the right side hub. Sometimes you will just have to move these washers around a little, just play with it, to get it to work right. I had problems with a later model diff being locked. Turned out that the drawing in the parts manual was wrong. I moved one washer and it now works great.

Thanks very much Rod. I got it apart and did a lot of head scratching. Had two thin washers on the outside of the left gear and one heavy one between the gears. The heavy washer had 2 notches for the keys and I realized it was on the right side (the wrong side) of snap ring. I moved it to the proper side. Put it all back together with no improvement. The diagrams in both the parts book and repair book were of little help. Out of desperation I pulled apart the axle & differential from a transmission out of a 725 – It looked just like the picture in the book with 3 washers between the gears and then I saw a difference between it and the differential with the problem. The left gear in the problem differential has a shoulder on one side to take the place of the 3 washers shown in the picture – it was on the axle backwards! I turned it around and solved the problem. Thanks again!

Glad I could be of some help, John. I've taken some apart with the shoulder and some that didn't have one. There are several different versions of the parts inside, depending on the year. Good thing is that they all work the same way, and once you understand how they need to be set up, you can usually figure your way through any of them. Also, John, now that you have it back together, be sure and pull all the slack in the axle toward the left side. Adjust the collar that holds the axle on the left side to remove the slack. This will prevent side to side motion from disengaging gears or locking rear. This is a common thing that can be overlooked and will cause problems, even brake a diff.